cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

BT8610 and Caller Display

Having just purchased the BT8610 Nuisance Call Blocker, and I now also have Caller Display, as confirmed by *#234#.

It would appear that Caller Disply is not working properly, as all callers are being asked to 'Annouce' themselves, despite being listed as VIP's on my contacts list, forcing us to turn off call guardian!

Is there a way I can check if Caller Display is set up properly, and not turned off? Are there other # codes relevant to Caller Display?

There is a distinct lack of information on BT site about caller display, and in fact I only found out about the above # code from this forum!

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: BT8610 and Caller Display

Pardon me if I am not correct but I think you appear to be confusing Call Blocker with Caller Display

0 Ratings
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 3 of 15

No, you may have got the wrong idea. The phone has ability to block a call from any number that is not in the list of numbers in the phone. To do this, it relies on identifying the caller using Caller Display. Sadly, although I have Caller Display set up, the calling number is not being displayed on the handset!

If the caller is not in my contacts list, I should see the number displayed, and decide whether to accept the call, block it, or send it to the answer machine.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 4 of 15

@SwanseaMick wrote:

No, you may have got the wrong idea. The phone has ability to block a call from any number that is not in the list of numbers in the phone. To do this, it relies on identifying the caller using Caller Display. Sadly, although I have Caller Display set up, the calling number is not being displayed on the handset! So what is displayed on the handset ?

If the caller is not in my contacts list, I should see the number displayed, and decide whether to accept the call, block it, or send it to the answer machine.

0 Ratings
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Just 'Incoming Call', with no identifying number shown!

The way the phone is behaving, I suspect the Caller ID is not being sent.

0 Ratings
SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Latest update

Following an on-line chat, an engineer has been booked. Look forward to seeing what the problem is.

if it works, will be interesting to see how efficient the phone is, just think, no more cold calls!

Even with TPS, they still get through, as they don't check before calling. A good but flawed system, which relies on the toe-rags checking before calling - some hope of them doing that!!

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 7 of 15

@SwanseaMick wrote:

Just 'Incoming Call', with no identifying number shown!

The way the phone is behaving, I suspect the Caller ID is not being sent.

Hi Mick,

Why not sign up for BT Call Protect ?  That will block callers that have unidentied numbers.  See the thread at the top of this board and you will see that it is working well, with the odd gremlin, for most people.

SwanseaMick
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

I have Call Protect already. I just wanted my new Phone working properly. My old phone did not have caller display, and as the new phone does, why not use it!

Call protect only stops repeat calls once they are on your blackilist. This works fine, but you still get cold calls from those not on your blcklist! As companies change their numbers on a regular basis, Call Protect has limited effectiveness.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 15

call protect also uses a BT based blacklist as well as your own blacklist
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 10 of 15

@SwanseaMick wrote:

I have Call Protect already. I just wanted my new Phone working properly. My old phone did not have caller display, and as the new phone does, why not use it!

Call protect only stops repeat calls once they are on your blackilist. Not true.  You can set it to reject unrecognised, witheld and international calls as well.This works fine, but you still get cold calls from those not on your blcklist! As companies change their numbers on a regular basis, Call Protect has limited effectiveness.

0 Ratings