cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Bad wiring?

Hello,

Thanks for advice in advance. So - i'm almost two months or so without internet after an initial openreach visit - broadband working for a couple of hours, then dying completely. I was told when I moved i needed a new line installed, the engineer that arrived connected the existing master socket without altering anything in the flat.

I’ve been told all sorts of reasons for this and raised a few faults since. I was told a new router and filter would be sent out and an engineer would visit - this was canceled however and the fault was marked at set - at this point the internet did again briefly (1 day?) work. Apparently there is now another fault which is been investigated.

When I moved, I was told only copper was available - something openreach told me was incorrect when i raised the issue with them. This is despite it being available for new orders. This has been the case every time I have contacted the tech department, over the six weeks, until calling today - when I managed to place an order. The sales person thinks the fiber will make the broadband work. I’ve been told so many things at this point i’m not convinced.

The main wire into the flat has a rusty nail / staple digging into it at one point and has been painted over a good few times. There are also a multitude of old wires coming out of the main socket. I’ve asked for someone to take a look at the wiring a few times with no luck. I decided to have a go at removing the telephone extension wires today and found the below. Would an engineer actually leave it like this, is it diy? I can't even see what’s what. It’s also in an extremely annoying place.

I had a similar issue with my last property which was resolved by a member of the open reach “A-Team” eventually drilling a hole in the wall, installing a new line and master socket in about 20 minutes - the internet then worked perfectly for three years. Am i naive in thinking the same is a reasonable thing to request? I have spoken to one person at bt out of about 20 who agreed. The plans she made over the phone seemingly canceled by someone else. I’m wishing I had ripped out all the existing wiring before the engineer attended.

Send help.

IMG_20190501_193451.jpg

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Bad wiring?

Welcome to this user forum. @joycie 

Are you a current BT Retail phone and broadband customer?

Also bear in mind, that any changes to your internal wiring would be chargeable,

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Hi Keith, I am indeed with BT.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Sorry to be clear, i do not need any extension lines or use the phone. I think the flat is the result of a larger property being split and the other wiring is a remenant of that. There are two wires to the box I can see which appear to enter from outside the property, under the window.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

As this has been ongoing for a while..

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

As I said on my last post, there is likely to be  a charge for sorting out internal wiring issues, but you would be advised beforehand, however if this is a new installation which has never worked, then it would be classed as an early life failure, and would normally be free.

See http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/c/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@joycie The wiring shown in the photo looks perfectly good to me, there may be superfluous wires to your requirements but in terms of workmanship it is perfectly fine, not sure what you would expect it to look like. The cable with a nail through it is a different matter however.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 9

Probably not a nail but a staple. BT and Openreach have used Staple Guns for years to tac Cables to skirting hoards.
Message 8 of 9

Hi @joycie Thanks for posting and welcome to the BT.com community forum. I'm so sorry to read about the problems you've had with your broadband ever since the line was connected, it shouldn't have taken this long to get your services working properly.

If fibre to the cabinet has been ordered and the current issues are on the d side of the network between the cabinet and your home then the problems are likely going to continue as it will be the same line.

If you send over your details the mod team will be happy to take a look at what's happening and come up with a solution. I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with us.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 9

‘If fibre to the cabinet has been ordered and the current issues are on the d side of the network between the cabinet and your home then the problems are likely going to continue as it will be the same line.’

E-Side Faults can and will affect VDSL/G.Fast Services.
0 Ratings