cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Welshyyyyy
Message 1 of 6

Basic BT package for elderly mother query

Go to solution
Is it possible to have a phone line in the house on Virgin, and another on BT (as they both use different infrastructure I believe)?
Reason for asking…slightly long winded reason sorry but… my father has recently passed away and my elderly mother wanted to reduce the bill for the Virgin phone/TV/broadband (£60 p month) as she doesn’t have much use for the internet and barely watches TV apart from the main terrestrial channels, and that’s a lot to pay out on her small pension. I suggested to her that she gets a basic BT package which is available to pensioners (£10 a month which would give her phone and basic broadband) – and then she could watch TV on Freeview (which she can get already through the TV if we disconnect the current Virgin box)…so my sister said she’d sort it and I told her what to do, cancel the Virgin setup and we’d go with BT saving my mum £50 per month…however much to my annoyance my sister rang Virgin and decided to reduce the package with them down to £36 p month for phone and 130 TV channels…but no broadband (“because mum doesn’t need broadband”)…so totally the opposite of what we’d agreed….and totally pointless as my mother doesn’t watch TV now so 130 channels are just a waste….anyway….without me ranting about my sister…this will leave my mum with no broadband at all..which she may have little use for but in this day and age I think it’s pretty useful, I also wanted to keep it so I could send her emails and pictures etc to her tablet to keep in contact with her when I can’t get there and if I go on holiday…and as where she lives (in a valley) my phone doesn’t get any coverage at all, if I ever need to use the internet when I’m there, I can’t either.
So, as my sister says “it’s sorted now” so she’s not going to change it..and to avoid any arguments…finally to the question, could I order the basic BT package for the £10 p month which would then give my mum the phone she needs and access to broadband and have that installed separately alongside the Virgin line/and if so would it need someone to do any physical install of a new BT line – would I be correct to assume the old BT line (before they swapped over to Virgin a few years ago) could still be in situ and would just need re-enabling in the green box at the end of the street ? That would leave her with a BT phone number as well but we just wouldn’t use that

Thanks for any advice, sorry for the ramble/vent :-)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES
Recognised Expert Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Basic BT package for elderly mother query

Go to solution

Hi @Welshyyyyy

You are indeed correct, if the BT line is still to the property even it is not in use then it wont be a problem. And even if it is not you can join and have a new line connected and have both BT & Virgin anyway. 

0 Ratings
Welshyyyyy
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution
Great, thank you Dean
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I think you need to check with BT that your mother is eligible as she already has a phone package from virgin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

@Welshyyyyy As your Mum has a line provided by another provider it may mean that she won't be able to apply for the BT Basic service.  The following link explains how the service works and the eligibility criteria for the BT Basic.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Make sure you are logged into the forum otherwise you will not see our contact link when a moderator offers help. When sending us your details please don’t send a Private message (PM), we can’t deal with account/service issues via PM so please use the contact link. Thank You
0 Ratings
Welshyyyyy
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Okay thanks, I was wondering if there may be an issue with the qualifying requirements. No problem, looks like my mum will be staying with Virgin, and I'll need to sort some other arrangements for broadband, thanks for all the replies
0 Ratings