cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CelticLady
Message 1 of 10

Beware of Openreach call scam

Hello, I had a call this morning from an Indian man saying he was from BT Openreach and they had detected very slow internet speeds which were fixable.  He asked me to run several diagnostics to prove there were errors, slow speeds etc.  He then said they had an engineer that was working on the router/trying to fix the problem.  Then he transferred me to their technical engineer.  I was getting suspicipous, so seperately googled BT, seeing you have your own speed test service, and also googled whether or not BT Openreach would call.  I saw several community posts, which convinced me this was a scam that would probably lead to them asking to take control of my computer.  I told them I didn't think they were who they said they were and I asked where they were calling from: they gave this number, 0800 023 2023, which you will see is attached to this website, http://freephoneuk.com/bt/openreach/.  This is not genuine, so please be aware!  I have reported this to Action Fraud. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Beware of Openreach call scam

I am afraid this type of call is so common now days. You did the right thing in challenging the authenticity of the call
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
ackers
Message 3 of 10

Have also had these calls and have either not answered them or told them that they are scammers and they then end the call very quickly

0 Ratings
wendyp1
Message 4 of 10

My husband took a call this morning from a gentleman with an Indian/Asian Accent who said Listen this is very important you need to change your router settings and that he had engineers working in the area.   As it sounded really suspcious my husband ended the call.   

Message 5 of 10

I have had four calls today from 'open reach', each one I have put down the phone on. The last call today at about 12.40 was from 01268681980 and when I called it I was informed that the number had not been recognised. Each caller had a different name but all sounded Asian or similar.

pantygorlan1 (Eric)

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

I had the same call thuis morning. 1471 said it came from number 01460 089406. It was an Indian man who claimed to be from Openreach and that my router had repotrted I was getting slow speeds to them.  I hung up

0 Ratings
ke02yjh
Message 7 of 10

Suggest blowing a football whistle in reply.

0 Ratings
Colinmacc
Message 8 of 10

I got a call like this today, the call came from 01959 564737. Indian sounding man who claimed to be from BT OPENREACH saying their engineer had detected slow internet speeds from my property. He put the phone down when I challenged his credentials, and when I pointed out I was not a BT customer he got very aggressive. 

Pretty sure this was a scam.

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

The correct response to this is now that ‘there is no such business as BT Openreach - you are a fraud’.

Openreach is seperated off from BT now and does not describe itself in that way anymore.
0 Ratings
LL58
Message 10 of 10

Had several calls today from various numbers, all from thickly Asian accented callers claiming to be from BT openreach saying my router had reported slow speeds to them and offering to 'fix' the problem. I was suspicious from the outset but when I queried what was being said one caller became very aggressive saying 'I was not listening  to her'. Needless to say I hung up and have now blocked each of the numbers 

0 Ratings