cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SarahLewis1
Message 21 of 39

Re: Beware of Openreach call scam

I have just had two calls from an Indian Lady making exactly the same claims.

She called from two numbers: 012115392164 and 02086321154.  If I hadn't found this message by googling "scam bt openreach calls I might have done what she said.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 22 of 39

@SarahLewis1wrote:

I have just had two calls from an Indian Lady making exactly the same claims.

She called from two numbers: 012115392164 and 02086321154.  If I hadn't found this message by googling "scam bt openreach calls I might have done what she said.

report them here  :- https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

0 Ratings
Message 23 of 39

Received a call this afternoon from the number 01903 786977, which apparently is a garden centre in Littlehampton - very strange.  An overseas gentleman with a thick Asian accent claimed to be from BT OpenReach, so I immediately knew it was a scam as the two companies are apparently separate.  He asked to speak to the owner of the broadband, and then told me that my router had been hacked in the last two days. He asked if I was aware of this.  I said, out of badness, "yes I am aware, I like  being hacked", and was then told that I was the "biggest a***hole in the world".  I replied, "yes. I probably am", at which point he just hung up.

I was more amused by the call than anything else, but wonder how scammers can use an apparently legitimate UK telephone number (in this case a garden centre in Littlehampton) to make their calls.  This new development does concern me.  I have reported it to BT.

Update - just checked the website of the garden centre in question, and it is a very different number from the one I was called from, which I searched online to find:

http://www.ukbizs.com/business/Manor-Nurseries_oNs.html

All very strnage, is it all a huge conspiracy?  Still, it filled in a couple of hours on a foggy February Saturday.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 24 of 39

These scammers can 'spoof' the presentation number to anything they want, that's one reason why it's hard to avoid these type of calls, it's possible the next call they make would use a different but legitimate looking number...it also illustrates how difficult it is for Telco's , when some accuse them of not doing enough to block these type of calls before they reach end users.
0 Ratings
nebupm
Message 25 of 39

These guys are still active. They called me twice yesterday. First they will try to find out which type of computer are you on. say windows or mac?

Then they will ask you to open chrome or firefox and then got to some website.

By this time i got suspicious. So, i asked them, If you have my information, then tell my landline number. They failed here.

Also, please keep an ear for  background noise. Someone will be speaking in a different language (usually Hindi if from India). Thankfully, i understand hindi, so i was sure, it was a scam.

Be safe guys..

0 Ratings
ladybrit
Message 26 of 39

phone call this afternoon from asian woman telling me she was from bt openreach and my internet was going to be *turned off* for seven days for update of the line.  telephone number 04296884621.  When challenged she put the phone down.  Yet another scam call

0 Ratings
Message 27 of 39

Hi @ladybrit you done the right thing by challenging the caller. I'd also recommend that you report the call here https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/ to help us fight the scammers.

0 Ratings
Anje
Contributor
Message 28 of 39

Openreach scam caller said they had reports of router poor performance and passed me on to a 'senior superviser' who wanted me to go to a specific 'google' search website to test speed.

I went to the BT one instead as I did not trust the call.

I could hear others in the background and though it odd they were all saying the same to the caller.

I asked him did he know who he was speaking to. He said that was private data and could not eleborate. I said he had already used a private telephone number so must know to whom he was speaking. He really wanted me to perform test so they could 'fix' the issue. I said speed was good and there are no issues, but the fact he did not know anything about to whom he was calling was a problem. He hung up.

I did a 1471 and got this number: 0141 340 7934

Beware of anyone calling you when you have not reported or requested a call.

Never divulge your name or any other details.

Never use any details they provide like wanting you to use a specific google website.

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 39

I had the same call a few minutes ago. I suspected it was a scam and refused to follow the Indian lady's instructions to turn on my computer. She said she was representing BT Openreach and that she had been made aware of a problem with my Broadband and wanted me to allow her to show me what the problem was. I know for a fact BT state that they will never ring you up and ask you to give them remote access to your computer. I also did a 1471 and got her number which was 01339867745.  This call was from North East Scotland.

I repeat what Anje said earlier:-

Beware of anyone calling you when you have not reported or requested a call.

Never divulge your name or any other details.

Never use any details they provide like wanting you to use a specific google website.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 39

@Dennis181251wrote:

I also did a 1471 and got her number which was 01339867745.  This call was from North East Scotland.

Hi, welcome to the forums..

The number has been spoofed by scammers using VoIP systems. The number may appear to have come "from" there, but in reality it wasn't. The number range 01339 86x is a protected range and unused.