Did you mean: 
Message 31 of 39

Re: Beware of Openreach call scam

Thanks for the info.
0 Ratings
craig805
Message 32 of 39

This is still an active scam. I received two identical calls today on my landline, one at 10am and one at 2pm. Both from an Indian call centre. The first number showed as "International" and the second was randon UK number. 

I played along with the first one for about 5 minutes until she wanted me to allow access to my computer at which time I informed her that I was aware of their scam and that they weren't even very convincing! I planned to play along with the second call too but they disconnected the call before I could start the game - too bad.

They are still describing themselves as BT Openreach so it looks like they haven't learned much in the last year!

0 Ratings
Message 33 of 39

Thanks for the info Craig.

0 Ratings
Longshanks0511
Beginner
Message 34 of 39

I have recently received numerous calls just like this.  A pause on answering, followed by a click (blanket calling from a switchboard); always a male voice from "BT Openreach" asking me politely how I am, strong Asian name and accent. Asks me about slow/unreliable broadband and claims that an anomaly has been detected at the server......

At this point I invariably hang up and enter the number (never the same one twice) as Backlisted in my BT Call Protect. While the numbers do vary, the area codes which seem to repeat are 01254 and 01522.

The "BT Openreach" opening gambit is a bit of a giveaway but it must be a real concern that these scammers can't seem to be prevented at source. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 35 of 39

@Longshanks0511wrote:

The "BT Openreach" opening gambit is a bit of a giveaway but it must be a real concern that these scammers can't seem to be prevented at source. 

Indeed, it's not BT Openreach, just Openreach.

How do you mean "prevented at source"?

If it really was that simple, it would have already been done by all phone companies around the world.

0 Ratings
Longshanks0511
Beginner
Message 36 of 39

A good start would be a technological solution that prevents callers presenting fake numbers - not sure if this is even feasible. Anecdotally, these scams often originate in international call centres; calls are then channelled in such a way that they appear to be national and so bypass any international call-blocking settings.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 37 of 39

@Longshanks0511wrote:

A good start would be a technological solution that prevents callers presenting fake numbers - not sure if this is even feasible. Anecdotally, these scams often originate in international call centres; calls are then channelled in such a way that they appear to be national and so bypass any international call-blocking settings.  

Many companies alter their presentation number, including BT. That's to prevent the extension number being shown to the person being called and what's presented is the same corporate number.

There are a vast amount of call systems that allow the presentation number to be altered.

The scams aren't actually usually in international call centres, they are done in small rooms by the scammers - they play a recording of a busy office to make people think it's a call centre. They use VoIP systems that don't pass through international telephone gateways (which is what put the international call signal within the phone message).

They also set number that look international on caller displays. They should appear to be blocked by those with international call blocking, but as these have not gone through those gateways, they are not international telephone calls - they are VoIP.

Longshanks0511
Beginner
Message 38 of 39

Thanks Andy_N. No wonder so many people are falling foul of these scammers who seem to be running rings around the legitimate industry operators. I have to be optimistic that the bigger telecomm companies will act because otherwise it could destroy their business. Folk disconnecting their landlines or turning ringers off doesn't bode well.
0 Ratings
oisteadman
Message 39 of 39

I can confirm this i still happening. They are very persistent. Keep up the fight and say you simply will not divulge sensitive numbers/IDs from your end. It was about ten minutes I was handed to a manager who then put his foot in it by calling me "Mr George" (there are no Georges living at the address). 

See here https://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/security/beware-the-new-breed-of-computer-takeover-scams-...
"BT will never call out of the blue and:

Tell you that your service has been hacked
Try to remotely take control of your device"
0 Ratings