Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 2

Blocking spoofed calls

Hi all,

I receive a LARGE number of calls from scammers.  Often these are international numbers so I can ignore them (Caller ID says "International") but increasingly they are spoofing their numbers and appear to be from the UK (even local numbers sometimes) so it's hard to now what is genuine and what not.

My question is whether the spoofed number is only fooling Caller ID and BT itself know they are actually international - in which case I could use the "Block International Calls" on Call Protect.

if not, I am at a loss what to do because the scammers will have an almost limitless number of numbers they can spoof and I can't block them all individually.

Many thanks for any insight/help.

Mike

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 2

Re: Blocking spoofed calls

Call protect does seem to block a certain amount of these calls without any action from the user. I have never tried to blacklist any numbers because, as you say, every call is a unique number and limitless. I obviously don't know what alogorithm is used, but the calls seem to get blocked for a while and then a few creep through and then none again when call protect seems to catch up with what the scammers are doing.

Personally, I never answer a number I don't recognise. If its a genuine call, the caller will start talking to the answering machine with a sensible message and can be picked up.

0 Ratings