Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Totton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Broadband Phone Number displays

Hi,

My Gigaset SL910A phone has a facility to send and receive text messages provided CLIP is enabled. However we are unable to send text messages and any sent to us are converted to a voice message by BT.  It looks like CLIP is enabled as when we dial out on our phone the receivers caller display shows our phone number but displays our Broadband phone number rather than the true home number.  

I have gone into the Home Hub 2 settings but can't see how to disable the broadband phone number. Does anyone know if I can somehow turn the broadband phone off and get our number shows as the normal home phone number?  I think this may solve the text problem as it looks as if the Gigaset phone number is being blocked by HH@ which then transmits the broadband number to whoever we phone.  

We are ex-dirctory if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help,

Mickey

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband Phone Number displays

If you dial a "5" before the number, then the call will be originated on your normal landline number.

The other alternative is to go into the home hub telephony settings, and untick the box that says something like "enable telephony".

If you do not use the BBT number, after a few months it gets ceased, but you do get a warning e-mail.

Totton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Keith,

Greatly appreciate your advice.  Dialling 5 first just gave me a horrible line crackling like crazy.  I have now turned off the Hub telephony setting and am still unable to send text messages.  Having seen that, I used the home phone to dial my mobile but then saw that my home phone number was now shown as 'Blocked'.  I suspect that means that CLI is disabled on the home phone number but worked on the hub phone.  If that is the case, do you know how I can enable CLI for the home phone?

Thanks,

Mickey

ps. Are there any disadvantages to disabling the broadband phone, we never use it and are thinking of buying the HH3 which doesn't have a phone anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

You must have asked for your number to be withheld when you ordered your phone line.

You can disable it on a call-by-call basis by prefixing the number with 1470.

You have it permanently enabled, you would have to ask BT.

The broadband talk number gives you free evening calls, if you are only on a basic package. Also, some International calls are cheaper.

The service is to be discontinued by BT at the end of the year anyway.

Your hub phone (s) will still work when you disable telephony, but the calls will be made on your normal landline number.

The crackling on the line does not sound very good, but it could be the relay in the HH2, which can cause that.

Its worth checking your line with a normal phone, as a bad line can affect your broadband speed.

Highlighted
Totton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks Keith,

We went ex-directory many years ago, not sure if that has anything to do with it.  I am now getting a terrible crackling on all outgoing calls so will have to switch the broadband phone back on.

Several months ago we had a very bad line but BT would not come out to it, they insisted we got an independent engineer as they said the line was okay at their end.  I offered to pay their £165 call out fee but still they wouldn't come.  Great product but terrible customer service.  Currently we have the phone working from plugging direct into the master socket via en extension wire. 

I haven't been able to find a local phone engineer with a good rep as yet. Do you think that the phone problem could be due to faulty hub, perhaps I need to buy a new one and go from there.

Thanks,

Mickey

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

You can login HERE// to your Broadband talk and softphone account. Here you can make your number witheld, bar certain type of numbers calling you as well as a choose to refuse service. out going call barring.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Totton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks Devon_Dave,
Our settings show that the caller number is being sent, the problem is that bt home hub is sending our tel no out as the broadband number. If I turn that telephony setting off then the home phone doesn't work, just a line of coracle sounds .

Thanks,
Mickey
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

that noisy Phone line will have a major affect on your broadband service and needs fixing you need to contact BT Faults on 151 and report the noise but do not mention broadband in the call
0 Ratings