Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Broadband after house move

Hi All,

I have just moved house and unfortunately the previous owner still has a broadband connection with BT that isn't ceasing untill the 21st of February!

After cancelling my house move form and not ceasing internet at my old address without telling me, I am now told there is nothing I can do other than wait untill after the 21st of February, when I can take over the line.

Surely there must be something else I can do here? It's ridiculous I'm allowed to use the previous persons internet and I can't use mine even though I want to.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband after house move

@spencerasmith 

Did you place the order as a Working Line Takeover, as that should not normally take very long?

That would not be possible if the previous owner has requested that the line be ceased, as now that pending cease order will delay your order.

I will ask a moderator for advice, to see if there is a quicker way.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

I was advised by BT there was an existing line, and therefore we placed an order to takeover the line for the 4th February.  After calling back they have now put the takeover as the 21st, when the previous owners line ceases. Ofcourse it wasn't as simple as that, I was sent to multiple teams, several had no idea why it had been cancelled, it was only after quite a while they figured out it's because the previous owners line is active still.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

My guess is that the owners must have placed a cease request while your order was being processed, as they may not have been aware that you wanted to takeover the line, unless you had told them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I don't think its anything to do with them knowing whether I wanted to take over the line or not, they shouldn't be leaving an active broadband connection which they are paying for, for a month in property they don't live in anymore! I wouldn't have expected them to even leave the internet for a day, let alone 3 weeks! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

When you placed your order they should have received notification that someone wanted to takeover their line.

Its possible that they did not understand that notification, and cancelled the takeover, without realising how it would affect your home move.

Provided they took no action, then their line would have been taken over on the day you specified on your home move order.

As it is, you are going to have to wait for the cease order to be completed.

Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 8

@spencerasmith 

that's understandable but not something BT/Openreach would have been aware of when the order was placed.

I of course agree that someone leaving a connection live for 3 weeks seems made.  Are you able to find out why from the previous occupier? 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 8

It's possible that the 21st of February is when they (previous occupant) move in their new property, during the home move order they made, they opted for the cease date to be the same as the provide date.

To be honest there are a range of reasons, you can't do a working line takeover when the line has a pending cease, home moves are stressful and people simply forget or leave things to the last minute, It's an unfortunate delay but don't let it spoil the start of your new chapter, you're moving home, go explore the new area, meet the new neighbours, plan the decoration etc.