cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Broadband working but Landline unable to make or receive calls.

I have recently encountered a problem with BT having had no problems when dealing with them previously which after an online chat and 5 phone calls trying to resolve the issue, I have turned to this forum or help.

Short Version:

The issue was first spotted on Sunday 21st April when trying to renew my BT Sport and Broadband contract. The Broadband and Sport are both still working, however, the landline phone is unable to make or receive calls. I called to report the fault and was informed of a partial billing restriction on the account which was looked into and then removed whilst I was on the phone.  I have since contacted BT again to inquire as to why the landline has not been restored to no avail.

Long Version:

The issue was first noticed on Sunday 21st April (however, the phone may have been off since the Thursday before as no calls were received in the intermittent period). Initially, I attempted to resolve the issue using the online chat facility with a person named Prasenjeet, he tried to find the landline fault and was unable to resolve the issue so connected me on my mobile to someone who would hope to resolve the issue. 

The purpose of the initial call was to renew my BT contract including both the Sport and Broadband; the contract was renewed for 18 months on a regrade to a new package by Simon in Accrington. The information Simon provided suggested the phone would become active again once the package had been updated and the order completed on Wednesday 24th April. The order was completed on the morning of the Wednesday; the phone was not still active, as I tested both calling in and out to my mobile. 

We then contacted BT again reporting a Landline Fault and spoke to Ian in Stockport. He informed us that the problem existed on their external network (outside the property) and they were aware of the issue and it would be resolved within 48 hours. Whilst Ian conducted the Landline troubleshooter, he encountered a billing restriction on the account which he couldn't work out why it was in existence (potentially due to the regrade???). Ian had a conversation with a manager whilst still on the phone which resulted in the billing restriction being removed (I have no proof the billing restriction either existed in the first place or that it was removed during the call). The account is in credit as displayed on the previous bill and is always paid on time.

On Friday 26th April, we then contacted BT again as the 48 hours had ellapsed but the phone was still not reconnected. On this occasion, we spoked to Glenn in Dublin, he informed us BT Openreach had conducted the necessary tasks on the external network but it would require another visit to our home on Saturday (27th April)  between 8AM and 1PM to resolve the issue to which I agreed and was informed that would be happening. Glenn informed us that we would receive an e-mail by 3PM to confirm, however, no e-mail arrived.

On Saturday 27th April, I waited in all morning for the Openreach engineer (who was meant to be conducting a home visit to test the network within the home as the phone was still disconnected). The engineer never arrived byt 1:30PM so I then phoned BT again to try and resolve the issue as it has now been ongoing for a week with no evidence of any progress. On this call, I was connected to Ashley in Stockport who informed us the fault was still open,  Ashley looked into the issue and informed us a partial billing restriction was still in place on the account (despite being informed on a previous call that the restriction has been removed). Ashley informed us he would look into it further and call back on the same number (mobile since the landline is still off) within 5 minutes. After waiting for an hour without the call being returned, I see no point in calling back as I will ultimately return to square one so have taken an alternative approach and posted on here. 

During the entire period the landline has been not active/connected, the Broadband and Sport have both worked with no drops in service. The phone has been tested in the mastersocket and I have tried 2 different landlines connected in the test socket (to eliminate the master socket as the issue) but the landline still doesn't work. 

Any help would be greatly received as I am getting nowhere by making phone calls.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Broadband working but Landline unable to make or receive calls.

Welcome to this user forum. @MrH20 

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi @MrH20,

Welcome to our Community.

I am sorry to read about the problems you have had. I would like to offer our help to you so we can get your land line up and running again. I've sent you a private message detailing what information I need first. I'd appreciate it if you could reply to it in your own time Smiley Happy

Thanks for making me aware of this @Keith_Beddoe 

DanielS

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @MrH20,

Thank you for sending in your details. I gave your mobile number a quick call, I'm sorry I didn't get speaking to you.

I've ran a few checks on your line and its picking up a fault on the network. I've reported this through to Openreach for investigation. They expect to have the fault repaired by the 2nd of May. I'll follow up with you again on that date to make sure the service is back working as it should.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings