Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Nicky0708
Message 1 of 8

Broadband working phone line no dial tone and registering engaged

Go to solution

Hi all 

home phone has stopped working, there is no ring tone and if you try to call the number it registers engaged, the broadband is still working though. Rang the fault line number, on mobile at 14p a minute and got fobbed off to try and check connections. Obviously that was the first thing I had done before calling. Now I am waiting for an engineer date but have a charge hanging over my head. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be or had the same problem. Cheers

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband working phone line no dial tone and registering engaged

Go to solution

did you check by using the test socket?  are you using a BT hub and if so are you opted in to BTFON/wifi?  if so you can download app smarttalk and make call via your smartphone over your wifi connection and it will be charged to your landline as it you were making a call from home phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Nicky0708
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

hi

my phone socket isn't Bt branded,  previous house owners, but I have taken the front plate off and plugged indirectly into the plug within and nothing. The wires looked fixed not loose, so I'm at a loss

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

Hi

If you have tried a known working corded phone in the test point of your main BT socket as shown below.NTE 5 Backplate.jpg

If you do not get a dialing tone you would need to report a fault to your comms provider (for BT call 0330 123 4151 from a mobile)

As long as there is no damage to the wiring or socket within your premises there should not be a charge.

If you get a dialtone the fault lies with your own wiring and or equipment.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Nicky0708
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Yes that's the internal socket I tried. I don't have a corded phone so may have to borrow one to try. The phones are new last month so I hope it's not them. Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
It's worth trying a borrowed phone (without using an ADSL filter) could save you a lot of money, could also get you back working quicker if the phone is at fault.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

You can get a corded phone for very little - eg 6 quid at Argos. Worth having as backup in case you get a power cut.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Nicky0708
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Amazingly BT got in touch today, a man was outside the house and the problem was fixed! A dodgy connector outside and better still no charge. Yippeeee