Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Broadband working, phone not working

Go to solution

Hi, I hope someone can help with this.

My broadband is working, but my phone line isn't.  I've checked both of my telephones, by plugging them into the back of my BT hub and using them with the internet telephone line, and they're both fine.  I've swapped out the ADSL filter (using another ADSL filter that I had from BT) and that doesn't solve the problem.  I've plugged both phones direct into the BT main socket and no joy there either.  My main socket is an old one, without the test socket, so I can't try that.  

When I call my landline from my mobile or the internet telephone line, the handset rings twice (usually - sometimes it doesn't) and then stops ringing.  No caller number displays on the phone (it usually does).  If I pick the phone up, I can hear lots of static and a faint ringing tone.  If I try to call out on the landline, there's no dial tone and if I dial I just get silence.  

The problem doesn't seem to be with any of my equipment, as I've swapped the ADSL filters, tested both phones on the internet telephone line, and plugged both phones straight into the main socket.  Also, the broadband's working - it was flaky a few hours ago, but it's fine now.  

BT are saying that the fault's somewhere on my premises, but I can't think what it might be.  If it was the wiring into the house or the wall socket then surely the phone wouldn't ring at all, and my broadband would be down?  And I've already ruled out the ADSL filter and checked that both phones are working.

If anyone's got any ideas about what else I can try they'd be appreciated.  Thanks

Chris

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband working, phone not working

Go to solution

Test Socket.jpghave you tried the phone in the test socket

john46 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Chris88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply John - my wall socket's the old design, which doesn't have a test socket.  I think I'm out of options now, so I'll have to call the engineers and hope they don't charge me!  

Chris

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
try disconnecting every thing from your phone sockets then just plug the phone back in and check if the noise is still there and the dial tone is still there also check any sky boxes you may have are disconnected from the phone line

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Chris88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks again, John, for your help.  I've plugged both phones direct into the main socket and no joy.  No Sky boxes or anything like that. 

I've put in an engineer's request now, and the problem seems to have moved to 'close to my home' and they say they'll fix it by the 26th, so I'll wait and see what happens.

Trouble with these things, is that talking to BT is always a bit of a hit and miss affair.  Just got an email saying that my softphone's been disconnected (it was working this morning but now the phone light's gone out on the BT hub and the line's not working). When I did an online chat thing with BT they said that I asked for the softphone to be disconnected yesterday, which is odd because I never even mentioned the softphone to them, let alone asked for it to be disconnected, and I have the transcript of our chat to prove it!  They can't sort this out until Monday, which is a bit of a pain since this is just the time when a softphone comes in very handy.

Oh well.  Looking on the bright side, it seems I won't be getting any of those recorded sales calls for a while Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
I have now moved your post to the speed and connection board as it is more appropriate

Try a Search
Chris88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks, John.  

And just when I thought it was safe to go back into the water....   Took a look online at my account and I find that an order (again dated today, and which I didn't ask for) has been made for BT Infinity.  Who ARE these people!  Since when did 'Please will you mend my phone' sound like 'Please will you disconnect my softphone and order BT Infinity.'  

Not sure where this post belongs.  I wonder if there's a board for 'Slowly being driven to distraction by the drip - drip - drip of incompetence'.  (Sorry, rhetorical question.)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
just reading back on your first post yes broadband can still work with a faulty voice service though with a reduced speed also the softphone /broadband talk service would have been automatically canceled with an infinity order as the services are not compatible

Try a Search
Chris88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Aha!  I was struggling to see the logic behind any of this, but that makes sense, thanks John.  Now I know what I need to ask for when I call them on Monday - just cancel the BT Infinity (which I never ordered) and get the softphone back.

Thanks again for all your help.

Chris

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution
unfortunately it may not be possible to get the softphone back i am afraid once they are ceased now they cannot be recovered there have been many forum posts on the subject even a simple recontract or replacement hub will now cease the service

Try a Search