cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
JennyJ
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Building my own home require landline but as no service to broadband as too far box remote locatio

Building a new  self build house in remote location therefore too far away from box for broadband require landline only

PA65 6BA

BT line exists into  field for my neighbour 

requiring trench to lay cable BT retail useless in understanding that it is not on a new Housing estate in a town but we require this cable as soon as possible to allow electrician & builder to continue 

been told by BT retail they cannot book anything until 3 weeks before moving into said premises they do not understand we need new line connecting that does not exist 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES
Message 2 of 8

Re: Building my own home require landline but as no service to broadband as too far box remote loc

BT Retail are just a Phone/Broadband and TV Provider, they don’t do Network Build.

You’d need to contact Openreach,

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/contactus/newhomes/newhomes.do

Once you have the Infrastructure in place then you’d be able to place an order for Phone/Broadband Services from BT or whichever Provider you want it from.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Re: Building my own home require landline but as no service to broadband as too far box remote loc

0 Ratings
JennyJ
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thanks only problem cannot fill in box for contact my service provider when I haven't got one yet due to not having a service yet !! Ticked the box only to get it sent but they may have problem getting in touch with my provider - chicken & egg syndrome 🤔😤
0 Ratings
CJT80
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

@JennyJ

As the online form seems not to work, maybe try a call to them: 0800 783 2023

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Actually come to think of it as it’s a Self Build then Openreach New Sites May not deal with it.

You may need to just order a line with whichever Service Provider you want to go with, although you’ll struggle with certain ones without having an existing or previous line there as they won’t want the hassle of it.

What your chosen Provider will need to do as part of the Order Process is raise like a Survey Activity for a Survey Officer to visit to cost up getting a line put in.

You mentioned there’s a line in a field for a neighbor so it can’t be that remote. But who owns the field, an existing Wayleave Agreement might need to be renegotiated. Also just because there’s a line there for your neighbour it doesn’t mean there sufficient capacity in the Network to Provide you with a line, it may need excess construction costs to get more capacity put in.

Best thing to do is try the Openreach New Sites first but if they can’t help you’ll need to place a Order as normal.
JennyJ
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Cannot place order as they do not recognise the postcode as I have no full address yet I can give a map reference but although I want to spend money with them they are not giving me any help whatsoever in obtaining a landline into build - i need to get trenches dug for cable now to quote

Thanks to a Universal Service Obligation, every home in the UK is entitled to have a phone line installed at an affordable price

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

The newsites part of OR won't be interested in a single plot deveoplment, your service would be delivered from wherever the nearest viable existing line plant is located , probably delivered overhead , and would be chargeable after the first £3400 of construction costs has been deducted ( OR's USO contribution ), if you dig a trench to the curtilage of your site, this could reduce costs.

BT are not the only service provider you could use, and as you cannot deal with OR directly on such a small development, you do need to use a 'CP' , communications provider, be it , BT or Sky, TT or whoever, they all have exactly the same  access into OR, BT have no special relationship with OR and get no 'favours' , all CP's have equivalent access, so you could try someone else if you wanted.

Your problem is getting an order entered into the system when you don't have a valid address, you need to get whatever CP you use ( BT as you are posting on a BT Customer forum) to take an order for an address that doesn't yet exist, if you are successful , you could find they mistakingly give you an appointment , an OR engineer turns up , won't be able to do anything, and passes the failed install to OR for survey/planning, or if it's picked up initially that the address doesn't exist yet, a survey officer will visit and discuss options ...eventually the agreed scheme is costed and if the construction is over £3400 , you will be asked to accept the excess before work beings ( so if the costs were £4500, your contribution would be £1100, plus you would pay whatever the BT install cost is , around £130)

Although  not unique , your requirements are unusual, and regular customer service reps may not be familiar with entering orders in this way, all you can do is persevere, perhaps the BT Mods may offer to help and get the appropriate order type entered on your behalf