Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Guru
Message 1 of 16

CLI Caller Display not activating

Go to solution
Hi all,

TL;DR : BT Privacy with caller display activated 30/12/2016 (confirmation via email), Using BT Halo phones, *#234# confirms caller ID will be displayed. Tried *234# to turn off and on again. Tried previous phone in test socket. Still no caller ID being displayed.

Firstly happy New Year's Eve.

I bought the family the new BT Halo phone set. Realised that the caller display feature was disabled so needed to order it via MyBT on 29/12/2016.

An order completion email was received at just gone 1am on 30/12/2016 saying everything was done and ready for use. Later in the day I tried it and no caller IDs were being displayed.

Tried turning the service on and off using the *234#, #234# and *#234# numbers though this didn't resolve it.

Tried previous phones that were capable of displaying caller IDs in the test socket but to no joy of them displaying incoming numbers.

We did have BT Privacy with Caller Display enabled a few years back but this was disabled and unregistered for some time ago.

Is there anything else I could try, also not sure if the Christmas period/system change processes would of had any impact on this?

Cheers.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: CLI Caller Display not activating

Go to solution

Could be a faulty line card in the exchange, or something on the line distorting the data burst that is sent just before the ringing voltage is sent out. I would suspect the line card, but it would need someone to check on the exchange frame to prove it.

If it is the line card, then normally a change of EN (equipment number) is made.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 3 of 16

Go to solution
Thanks Keith, will give cs a call in the new year to see if they can check it and may send out a Openreach technician to the exchange if needed.

In the meantime, I may just turn off the call screening process if getting too annoying when the caller ID can't be picked up.

Have a great night!

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

Go to solution

Thats probably the best course of action at the moment. Openreach can send a Frame Technician with a caller display unit, to test on the last point of the MDF, with the line disconnected.

All of the exchange line cards are very old now, and the relays inside sometimes fail to switch correctly. This can result in loss of the tone data burst, or even loss of ringing current.

It would do no harm at this stage to raise a fault report, as there are usually Frame Technicians visiting most exchanges every day, and fault reports do take priority over any future dated provision work.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 16

Go to solution
Finally got this reported, technician being sent to the exchange to have a look and should hopefully be sorted by the 4th Jan.

Try a Search
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Go to solution

@jac_95 wrote:
Finally got this reported, technician being sent to the exchange to have a look and should hopefully be sorted by the 4th Jan.

Lets hope they can find someone with a spare caller display unit to try on the frame. You can get an approximate idea with a phone in the monitor only position. A burst of data can be heard just before the first ringing cycle starts. I believe its just a 1200 Baud FSK burst.

Sometime it can be distorted by faulty broadband filters in the broadband equipment, or even something in the house wiring which is attenuating the tones.

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 7 of 16

Go to solution

Two Openreach technicians arrived at the house, unfortunately they checked everything from exchange to property and couldn't get the caller display working either. They did however fix another issue we weren't aware about, there was a battery contact issue located on top of one of the poles for the line.

They will be submitting that the Caller Display is still not working in their report but also want us to report it back to Consumer.

Best way to go forward? Contact CS tonight or proceed via the forum?

Try a Search
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Go to solution

Did they request a change of EN (Equipment Number), that would eliminate the chance that the line card was at fault?

Caller display does seem to baffle some of the FTs.

You could ask one of the mods to follow it up for you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 16

Go to solution
Suggest you ensure you re-report the caller display issue. If the engineers clear off the fault as an external issue up the pole the fault can't also be passed back into the exchange.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 10 of 16

Go to solution
Had another call this morning from an Openreach technician who wanted to come to the house, unfortunately I was going out so they said they would check at the exchange instead with a caller display unit.

Had a call from a person within consumer asking to call them back, though looking at the consumers fault history system it looks like another Openreach technician is comming out to the property tomorrow.
Just going to call them and see what is happening, however may have to pass this on to my dad (who's actually the account holder) with the options on how to progress as I won't be down here for much longer.

Try a Search
0 Ratings