cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

CLI (Caller ID) failing

Hi All, I have had caller ID working successfully for several years now but recently it's begun to fail on a high percentage of incoming calls, with many showing "Incoming Call" and these are from numbers that normally would display. Some phones are better than others in successfully showing the CLI but all I've tried recently are failing on around 50% of incoming calls. I've been told (although not officially by Openreach) that this is likely due to noise (inference) with the FSK CLI ident, caused by increasing numbers of users being connected to VDSL and the noise is being coupled from the multicore feeder. We are 6Klm from the exchange and 500M from the DSLAM so given the distance from the exchange I guess the signal containing the CLI info will be quite weak and easily prone to interference from the VDSL which will be at a high level due to the local DSLAM. 

I wonder id anyone has used or know of a filter which might help in removing the noise without killing the FSK CLI data? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for VOIP/SIP which BT are to move over to eventually in any case.

Pex.

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: CLI (Caller ID) failing

@Pex 

Who provides your phone and broadband service?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

BT provides the phone and Zen the VDSL.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

@Pex wrote:

BT provides the phone and Zen the VDSL.

That would be very unusual, as ISPs normally require that you take your phone line from them.

So you are paying BT Retail for your line rental, and then you get another separate bill from Zen, is that correct?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 19

We pay Zen for the phone line and BT for our landline service. Had a Openreach to look at the line recently and he said line was OK but the CLI could not be improved.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

@Pex wrote:
We pay Zen for the phone line and BT for our landline service. Had a Openreach to look at the line recently and he said line was OK but the CLI could not be improved.

That does not make any sense.

If you pay Zen for the phone line and broadband, then Zen are your provider, it has nothing to do with BT Retail.  Zen have their own exchange equipment.

It Openreach that provide the lines, not BT Retail.

What do you get if you dial 150?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 19

Thanks for calling BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 19

I use Zen as a broadband supplier and pat them for the phone line but I use BT for the incoming and outgoing phonecalls and not Zen.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

@Pex wrote:
Thanks for calling BT

Fine, it just seems a bit odd.

As you are connected to BT Exchange equipment, then its possible to have the line gain increased on the exchange line card.

This will increase the overall level of incoming tones and calls, and should improve things.

Usually line problems (Noise)  will cause wrong numbers to be dialled, which I assume you are not having issues with?

The FSK frequencies of 1200Hz and 2200Hz are usually quite loud, so there is also a possibility that the exchange line card may be faulty.

Getting the line gain increased will need the intervention of one of the forum moderators, as the helpdesk are unlikely to have a clue.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Great, I await their invite. I asked the Openreach engineer during his recent call if the gain could be increased to overcome the problem but he said he didn't know anything about that, all he was able to do was verify that the line was working normally.

0 Ratings