Message 12 of 19

Re: CLI (Caller ID) failing

Residential line
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 19

Thanks for confirming @Pex

I've sent you a private message explaining how you can contact the forum moderation team.  Just drop me over a reply with the details and we’ll check it out.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 19

Hi David, unfortunately I just get this message when I click the link you provided and I have Java installed on this machine.
"Authentication failed for the action you are trying to do. This failure could be due to your browser not supporting JavaScript, JavaScript not being enabled, or trying to use the action URL directly in the browser address bar instead of clicking the link on the page.
Return to my original page"
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 15 of 19

Sorry about that @Pex. It looks like we're having a few problems. Leave it with me and I'll report it to the community manager.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 19

@Pex wrote:

Great, I await their invite. I asked the Openreach engineer during his recent call if the gain could be increased to overcome the problem but he said he didn't know anything about that, all he was able to do was verify that the line was working normally.

From what I remember a long time ago, there is a +6dB setting which can be programmed into the line card port. Its not done by default as it causes instability on very short lines.

If that fails to help, then a change of EN (Equipment Number) may help, as that will move your line to a different line card.

It would be interesting to know the outcome.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 17 of 19

@Pex wrote:
Hi David, unfortunately I just get this message when I click the link you provided and I have Java installed on this machine.
"Authentication failed for the action you are trying to do. This failure could be due to your browser not supporting JavaScript, JavaScript not being enabled, or trying to use the action URL directly in the browser address bar instead of clicking the link on the page.
Return to my original page"

Hi @Pex,

Welcome to the Community.  I am sorry you were unable to send Dave a private message.

I have taken a look at the link and this is now fixed 😉  if you click on his Private message link you should have no further problems.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Hi Keith,

Recently received this message referring to the Caller ID fault,

I was calling to advise that having received this message I have looked into the option to raise gain on the line as this was previously something we could do.
Unfortunately, this process no longer exists for us and when I raised the investigation into issues that cause Caller Display to be intermittent, regrettably one factor that is a problem is when broadband and telephone line or provided by another company.
The official statement on this issue is as follows:
"We're very sorry you've been impacted by a national fault with our caller display product. As part of our fact-finding and testing process you've told us that your broadband's with another service provider.
The solution we have requires the replacement of equipment at the exchange and we're looking at the best and quickest way of doing this. Our suppliers are currently working with all communication providers to agree on an industry-wide solution but as a temporary measure we need to remove caller display service from your line."
This statement leaves us with only two options to remove caller display or continue to use it intermittently until this issue finally gets resolved. As this is something being dealt with by our suppliers regrettably we don't have any more information on when this work will be completed.
I'm sorry I am unable to get the gain increased or offer an alternative solution to resolve this fault.

So it looks like nothing can be done to improve the situation as things stand. So as I said earlier maybe now is the time to consider moving to SIP/VOIP and abandoning the old POTS/PSTN service, which is something we will inevitably all end up at the end of the day.

So I'm currently evaluating the major SIP vendors to that end.

Thanks for you help in trying to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Nick (Pex)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 19

That is interesting about the line gain issue, as it was possible in the past, but as I retired from BT 10 years ago, things must have changed.

Yours is complicated by the fact you have a split service, something that is very unusual now, as it works out more expensive, as broadband packages now include line rental.

There may be something within the broadband equipment that ZEN have installed in the exchange, which is attenuating the overall audio level, as the FSK tones are well within the 300-3400KHz audio band. Perhaps its their PSTN filters?

I am sorry that there appears to be no resolution to this. You may be able to find a phone which has better sensitivity to the caller display tones.

If your broadband provider was BT Retail, then they are offering a Digital Voice service which may overcome the problem

0 Ratings