cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
clara2
Message 1 of 8

Cables not in Service strip

Well, my builders broke ground this morning only to find that the BT cables were NOT IN the service strip - where they should be. After carefully getting surveys done before the digger arrived to make sure there were no show stoppers we find the numpties have put the cable outside the designated area. To compound the issue we find that the cable is actually only 2 inches below the surface. Now Openreach want the cost of a survey and say it may happen in the next 25 working days - thats FIVE weeks for crying out loud! then they may come and fix THEIR mistake afterwards but I'll need to pay up front. Meanwhile i have builders waiting! Its just not good enough really - Disgusting treatment from Openreach. *BT you should do something about this* I may take to twitter for further help....So angry right now, anyone else got any comments? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Cables not in Service strip

BT isn’t a proxy for Openreach, are BT even your provider ?
How old is the property ?, a service strip is a quite new concept so it the property less than 25 years old ?
If a relatively new property , chances are the developer was paid to lay ducts by BT/OR so any deviation from where they should be and depth of cover would have been down to the developers ground works people.
Presumably it’s your own service you have cut, and presumably the point at which the service entered your house is known by the position of the master socket, and the joint box outside is also known, so perhaps the builder should have checked with a ‘cat and genny’ for hidden services, or could have approached OR for plant maps that showed the position of ducts that the developers was supposed to install
0 Ratings
clara2
Message 3 of 8

Hi Yeh, I know openreach isn't anything to do with BT anymore, 2 separate companies they took great pains to point out to me. Thing is what choices do we have? None as far as I know. The house is about 20 years old and the cable isn't cut. The builders dug very carefully around there because I figured that there may be something random in the earth. I was thinking it may have been archaeology tbh because we live near an ancient battlefield. 

Im thinking I might just tell the builders to stick the digger bucket through it and deal with it later!

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

If you don’t mind me asking, what are the builders doing, if the property is around 20 years old the standard method of provision would be duct 56 ( a grey 2” duct) to an outside wall on the front of the property and a capping and cover covering the access hole into the property and the master socket connected pretty much as soon as the cable appears on the inside of the property, so presumably his work it’s something on the front of the property ?, a drive way or porch ?
TBH, I have knowledge of someone on a relatively modern property in the head of a culdesac where the front gardens extended to the curb of the road ( no footpath) and this person complained that a ‘BT’ jointbox was in their front garden and they wanted it removed.....they were told that although it may look like it was their garden , it wasn’t, it was within 1 metre of the road and was actually a in the service strip , in other words even though they thought the last metre of the front garden was theirs , it wasn’t....it that similar what you are referring to as a service strip ?
0 Ratings
clara2
Message 5 of 8

Our service strip is very clearly marked by edging strips so its really obvious as to where it is, and its a meter in from the kerb exactly. we are in a cul de sac too, and kind of on the shoulder so next doors phone line comes across our property as well. We do have someone over the road that works for another utility doing meter relocation and he said that phone lines being outside of the service strip is not actually uncommon, far too common was his wording! The builders are doing a single storey wrap around extension to the house and the corner its on, is the corner where all the services are and this is why we had more work done to ascertain exactly where the gas & electric where, for just this issue. I had no idea the phone line would be the one that caused us issues.  Im just so mad with BT/openreach with the fact its not where it should be, and should have been done properly in the first place and now Ive got to sort it out at my cost!  The line was under a pea gravel path we could have easily put the spade through it as well.  Its just shoddy I suppose, done without care or thought. If I did cr@p work like this i wouldn't have a job or business but they seem to get away with it somehow........

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Sorry, no idea why you are posting this on a BT Retail forum, it is an Openreach problem and nothing to do with BT.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

It’s unfortunate, but as I said previously, the way these things are done is BT/OR in effect pay the builder/developer to build joint boxes and lay ducting to each property , so if it’s been done poorly , in effect OR were short changed by the developer, who was paid for doing the work to a certain standard that wasn’t achieved and obviously once the top surface is installed, the mistakes are buried.

Any builder /developer shouldn’t put another property’s services through your plot and should be aware of the depth services should be buried.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Blaming Openreach for something that was done before the Company even existed. 😆

If you actually checked Housing Developers Build the Infrastructure, like they build the roads, foot paths, etc and once they’ve done Openreach, or back then BT take ownership and maintain it.

Also when you say ‘Service Strip’ are you referring to where your Electric Cabling is because if so then you should be grateful the Telephone Cables don’t run parallel to the Electric ones. 

0 Ratings