Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mtotham
Contributor
Message 61 of 99

Re: Call Diversion With Bypass Number

Hi Nigel

Well my fingers are firmly crossed. Tim and myself should be the first 'guinea pigs' from here to attempt the transfer

Mike

0 Ratings
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 62 of 99

Following my posts on 6th August (on page 3 of this thread) regarding the plan to make my bypass number my real number and stop call diversion, with written confirmation in 2 working days and the changes made in 3 working days - nothing had happened or been received after a week. No great surprise!

Yesterday I spent another 40 minutes or so negotiating the appalling Customer 'Service' system, speaking again to 2 individuals who knew nothing (one told me my bypass number was from a supplier other than BT!) then finally to the Indian call centre. There, another very pleasant chap (I don't think the same one as last week) understood the request, had to speak to somone else twice (I think a good sign) and told me that Call Diversion would first have to be cancelled, which would take 1 day, then the number change would take place within 3 working days. He said nothing would be sent by post but that he could give me a call reference number. Strangely, it took 2 or 3 minutes to obtain the reference number.

I had a slightly more positive feeling after this call and within hours call diversion had been cancelled but my bypass number still works (as does the official number). I will report on Wednesday or Thursday if the number change does take place as promised!

Until then I have set up an answering machine, directing those (very few) who would normally have been diverted, to not leave a message but phone another number and advising others to text or phone me on my mobile or leave a message so I can phone them back.

I'm not sure if this number change might be an option for me because my bypass number WAS my original phone number until 16/06/1989. (Found the invoice! Cost of number swap was £21, not £10 as previously stated and was 21 years ago, not 19) If doing this was simple 21 years ago it must surely be possible now for anyone who wants it! The problem is probably misuse of the word 'cannot' when they mean 'will not'.

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 63 of 99

Hi Hector

I am still holding out for a seamless change to Business tariff with everything else remaining the same.

I also notice the Hand of Mod has lightly airbrushed Paul from BT's full identity from a few posts... probably to stop the poor guy being inundated with requests to help sort this all out 😄

Mike

0 Ratings
TNT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 64 of 99

Hi Mike,

I've just looked at my mail to everyone that I posted last week. The Mods have taken his mail address from my post too !

Probably to try and get the credit of it been able to be done for themselves.

The Mods posted their mail onto the forum saying it could be done well after I had posted mine, after speaking to Paul.

Their embarresement I suppose with no credit from BT to Paul who is the man who could sort it for everyone.

Tim.

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 65 of 99

Hi Tim

Well, assuming it all does get sorted I shall certainly be emailing Customer Service to point out how there was finally someone useful in BT who could actually help us out rather than just stonewalling with the 'random number' answer

Mike

0 Ratings
postmark
Beginner
Message 66 of 99

Hi All

First Post..

I too have the very usufull caller/bypass facility on two of my lines at home, and additionally I view my numbers as 'golden'.

Im not too worried about the bypass facility but I really, really do not want to lose my numbers.

What can I do that will prevent this from happening as I have had these numbers for close on 20 years and cannot afford to lose them.

I have rung the number on the letter received but most CS operatives do not know what a 'bypass' number is and the others give the 'will have to be renumbered if you go to callsign' speech.

Help!

Postmark

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 67 of 99

Hi postmark

Check out the post made by the Mod NigelE made on Friday on page 6 here, there may be something that can be done by transferring to a business tariff 

Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 68 of 99

Like me, my business partner tried to sort this out about 10 days ago for her residential line and was told it would be all fixed by the end of last week, but of course it was not. Unlike me (I went through the hassle of phoning again) she emailed a complaint and was phoned yesterday to say it will definitely be sorted by the end of this week. She is not holding her breath and neither am I re changes that are meant to take place for me tomorrow, 18th Aug, or possibly the next day. What we both want to do is change the bypass number to the actual number and stop call diversion. How on earth can this be so difficult? It used to be possible.

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 69 of 99

Hi Hector

There seems to be a degree of disconnect between the people that sell us the various packages and network services and the people who actually implement the changes - play with the actual hardware. Years ago this did not seem to be the case but it is almost as though one part of BT has no more control of the other part than we do. How else could you logically explain the apparent difficulty and struggle we have had to get close to getting the service we want. In my case EXACTLY the same as I already have please

Mike

0 Ratings
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 70 of 99

Mike

I'm sure you're right with that explanation. There used to be a 'Special Services' department who could do non-standard things (at least for business lines, and I think also for residential) but it would seem that it no longer exists. The exacerbating factor is the apparent inability of staff to believe that there might be any options beyond those presented on their screen and a strong reluctance to pass the call to someone else who might be able to help. I suspect there are staff training issues here, the problem being with cutomer service management rather than the individuals on the phones.

0 Ratings