Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chriswov
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 99

Re: Call Diversion With Bypass Number

Hello All

I've had an email this afternoon from Sipgate. It is not possible to port just the bypass number-both numbers have to be ported(or ceased). After reading posts here it looked possible to port our long held bypass number to a BT business line(which I also have)

I've got a horrible feeling that even with BT I'll have to port both numbers together which in effect just converts my residential line to business . If both  numbers are "joined at the hip" it's going to be all but impossible to make any headway without even more expense and upheaval. I'm beginning to think that it will be best to bite the bullet now and set in motion a number change. Unless of course anyone has an idea that could help.

Chris

0 Ratings
bignoise
Aspiring Contributor
Message 72 of 99

Sorry to hear that, Chris. I have my own number port request going through Sipgate at the moment, so doubtless I'll be hearing the same in a few days.

I think the 'Res To Biz' option would not be painless for me either, as I have two lines and (non-BT) broadband on the line with the bypass number, so both on practicality and principle I think that option isn't going to be a goer either. (As I understand it, the line gets technically disconnected from residential then re-connected by business, thereby throwing your broadband provider off the line at the same time.) Unfortunately it has now reached the stage where I would quite cheerfully ensure that BT never get another penny of my money ever again.

Surely it must be against number portability regulations for BT to refuse to port a number to an alternative carrier, but let their own business units have access to it? I wonder what Ofcom would have to say about the whole matter.

With the 28-day period fast ticking by, time is of the essence - I'm not sure what alternative measures there are now...

0 Ratings
chriswov
Aspiring Contributor
Message 73 of 99

Hi B N

T his is getting a bit frustrating now. In my case,as with others on the forum, the bypass calls are usually for my wife and you know that if you get more than 5 rings then it's the bypass number and I don't pick up the call on my mobile- all very organised. As we live in a farm house I've got an old 60s 'phone plugged in so that we can hear the  bell wherever we are in the house and just pick up the nearest 'phone -all this will have to change. If I can organise a number change (To one of the VoIP numbers) with my wife's contacts I think we'll be OK with a good cordless handset and we can even divert what would have been bypass calls back to the landline or anywhere else for that matter if we wanted to . It seems stupid in this day and age that we can't keep our old numbers but it must be progress that it easy for each person or desk or car to now have a separate number and  line-we started off with a "party line"but luckily within about 6 months the village was recabled and we all had our own lines .Mustn't grumble too much!

Chris

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 74 of 99

Well... I had an automated call this morning telling me that my order (reference quoted but as the call was diverted to my mobile I didn't write it down) was complete. I check bypass number .. it works... I check Call Sign .. it works

I am exactly where I wanted to be but now seem to be a business customer *does a little dance* 😄

All credit to Tim here for finding Paul@BT and for Paul for subsequently sorting it out for me

My account number no longer matches up with my phone number so I presume I'll be getting a new one soon related to a business account.

Phew!

Mike

0 Ratings
chriswov
Aspiring Contributor
Message 75 of 99

Hello Mike et al,

I've had a call from Paul this morning and he is arranging for my res. line to be changed to "biz" thus keeping the bypass facility(good) but with a bit more on the rental(bad). I was a bit peeved at now having to have two "biz" lines but the good news is that it should be possible to keep/port my original "biz" No as a VoIP line(£5 month) to my new "biz"line-keep up at the back!-thus saving one lot of "biz" line rental. Paul also thinks a mobile deal is on to save on diversion costs.

The only downside is that email addresses don't just stay the same when switching from home broadband to business as in my case-it has to be sorted but can be done.

So here's hoping and thanks to Nigel and Paul.

Chris.

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 76 of 99

Hi Chris

Yep.. thanks to Nigel as well. I just remembered I had better check my second line was still okay then had a 'Doh!' moment as I realised that as my broadband from virgin is on it I couldn't be accessing the internet at all.. oh and the phone on that line still works too.

I am happy now. Obviously I am less keen to pay more for the same service but I am just relieved to have it sorted and the costs in involved of installing and renting a third line, as my only real alternative, would have pretty much matched biz rates anyway

Mike

0 Ratings
TNT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 77 of 99

Hi Mike,

Really pleased it's working for you. I have had a delay until tomorrow. Just my luck !! Paul has kept me informed day by day and has said he is leasing with 5 other people to get this right. So, well done Paul.

So Mike. You have your main number working with call divert on and the by-pass number is coming down the line when main number on divert ?

Regards,

Tim.

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 78 of 99

Hi Tim

My main number and Call Sign number divert as and when required and my Bypass number gets through to my home regardless. Exactly as it has it always been.

I was out at the time of the automated call and immediately grabbed a land line... dialled bypass and got through to home then dialled the main and callsign and rang the mobile in my pocket 🙂

Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 79 of 99

My business partner's residential number has been changed as requested!

Bypass and official numbers swapped. Happended yesterday or today.

She went down the compaint route after 1 failed attempt via standard procedures. My 2nd standard attempt failed and so I also then went down the complaint route 2 days ago. I had a phone call from BT this afternoon (08003 289393) but no message left on answering machine and no way to call them back - just a message. I trust it was about this matter.

Pleased that this appears to be fixable, because if we had to change residential numbers then not only would that change to Virgin/Sky but the annoyance would be such that our 7 business lines would also be getting another provider, irrespective of any hassle that might cause us!

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 80 of 99

Hi Hector, looks like you are sorted too!

I am over 48 hours into mine being changed over and I seem to be sorted ok. The final clue came when I had a call from India yesterday... BT Phonebook department wanting to know what my Company name was for inclusion in the Business Phone Directory 😄

Mike

0 Ratings