cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gonehunting
Aspiring Contributor
Message 91 of 99

Re: Call Diversion With Bypass Number

Well now I am beginning to see why my  bypass number  has disappeared. Only BT never saw fit  to write to me and warn me it was going to happen, I am a GP so I need my bypass number so I can divert  patients  to  the out of hours provider. Fortunately that number is still working but it leaves me with no landline number I can use, I can't use the  number  which we divert because this is the one in the phone book  as my professional number for people to ring in an emergency. Fancy the  Indian call centre being unaware of  the withdrawal of this service!

What a mess. Can you sue BT for failing to notify someone of this  happening? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Hector-Glasgow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 92 of 99

Gonehunting - you CAN get your bypass number back (though not the service, unless you go for a business line at home) and could associate it with a new line or change your existing line's number to that of your bypass number. That second option is not ideal for you in your circumstances, though you could always alter your out-of-hours arrangements, perhaps remotely diverting your practice line. I had a period of a week in my 3 week saga with BT where I still had 2 numbers but no diversion so put a message on an answering machine directing patients to not leave a message but phone the usual surgery number and advising those who had phoned my 'other' number to text or phone me on my mobile or leave a brief message.

Be prepared however for a long battle, though after this time one might have expected a trickle of knowledge on this matter to have permeated down to even the lower depths of customer service. I would suggest going down the complaints route if your first attempt in resolving your problem is not successful. Do not bother with further phone calls to India. The complaints people (mainly by email) seem more able to get things done, though on the day that mine finally got changed (bypass number became my real number as I no longer need call diversion) I had a British woman from customer complaints telling me by phone that what I wanted was not possible even though my partner had managed to get her's changed the previous week. The genuine threat of moving our 7 business lines to another provider, irrespective of hassle or expense, resulted in the number being changed in less than 2 hours! Perhaps it was not the threat but eventual success from having made about 7 phone calls and 3 or 4 complaint emails over the 3 weeks.

As regards notification, in my opinion BT should have sent these letters recorded delivery and not stopped anyone's bypass service without checking that the information had been received. BT clearly have no idea that for many people with this service, their bypass number IS (WAS) their phone number! Are you sure you did not get a letter, but addressed to a wrong name, like me, my partner and I think 2 others who have contributed to this thread. Don't suppose it was a deliberate ploy? I suspect that if anyone could show significant loss through an inability to be contacted following a disconnection of their phone number without warning then BT might be legally liable.

My problems with BT are not yet fully resolved. My 'new' (old bypass) number has had its caller ID automatically withheld. I do not want this and never asked for it. I can remember to withhold it when I want to but rarely remember to reveal it by dialing 1470 first. Have asked for this to be changed 3 times, the last just being yesterday. The first twice I was told it would happen in a day but yesterday (Monday) I was told it would take 2 days as my account was being transferred to a different server. Seemed such an unusual explanation that it just might be true!

0 Ratings
gonehunting
Aspiring Contributor
Message 93 of 99

Have  spoken to  chap in Res  to Biz  who kindly pointed out to me that any company  can withdraw any  product  at any time  , for  example  a  face cream can be withdrawn without warning. Every bit as inconvenient as  having your phone cut off really. Pointed out that You&Yours, who have been made aware of this fiasco, would  enjoy that quote!

I am now hopefully sorted though, they will let me have my old number back  though I  will have to lose the divert, went through 3 departments  to get ther , fingers x it works !!

0 Ratings
TNT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 94 of 99

Hi to everyone still having problems with BT domestic taking away the by-pass number.

Please look back at the early postings on this forum to see what I managed to do.

I moved to Business and kept my original number and by-pass number, eventhough Domestic said this could not be done. Business have more technical training than domestic.

It took me days of getting passed round by BT to get to someone who could move the numbers over. It was done and it all works fine, eventhough I'm paying a bit more.

Hope it helps you all.

Tim.

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 95 of 99

.... and it was Tim's original lead that got me sorted as well. I am now a business customer with all my original bypass and callsign numbers

Mike

0 Ratings
TNT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 96 of 99

Hi Mike, Pleased yours is working okay. Only fear I have is that BT, in their wisdom, will one day take the facility off business as well.

That would really be a Sh__ter.

0 Ratings
mtotham
Contributor
Message 97 of 99

Hi Tim

That is my concern too... right after they tell us, yet again, how little it is used!!

Maybe they should advertise it to the business community a little more. For a small business it is ideal for maintaining contact with your customers through a single landline number regardless of where you are but still have the facility to call the 'office' on the bypass number all just using a single phone line

They will certainly feel whatever wrath I can muster if they do drop it completely!!

Mike

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
TNT
Aspiring Contributor
Message 98 of 99

Hi Mike,

I've used mine for over 10 years, hence all my customers have the numbers. When I go out I put main number on divert to mobile and then put fax on auto recieve. The by-pass number has been given out to customers as the fax number and it works lovely.

Sadly, if they do take it away small customers like ourselves don't matter however loud we shout.

Tim.

0 Ratings
jeremymart
Message 99 of 99

SOMEONE IS TAPPING MY CALLS TO HIS PHONE AND ICANT REACH THE PERSON I INTEND TO REACH

WHAT CAN I DO

0 Ratings