cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Call Guardian with multiple phones.

I have separate phones on separate room connection points (no doubt all connected to the same incoming BT Line).

I am considering upgrading just one of them (possibly to BT Decor 2600) with Call Guardian (the alternative would be to replace everyone with a new set). I would like to know what happens with just one Call Guardian. Some questions are:

1. Does the Call Guardian cut in and prevent the other phones ringing, since it will generally be the first to "answer"?

2. Will the other phones still display "missed call" under all circumstances?

3. If another phone was answered before the Call Guardian had decided what to do, would the Call Guardian then perhaps terminate the call, ignore the call, consider it a bona fide number, etc?

4. Would the presence of the non-Call Guardian phones prevent the Call Guardian working properly?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Call Guardian with multiple phones.

Have you considered BT Call Protect for free ?

I bought a 8600 quad set with Call Guardian only a few days before Call Protect was announced and have never bothered to set it up.  Call Prtect is not perfect but I know from other people neither if Call Guardian.

0 Ratings
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

I have BT Call Protect which works well. However it has revealed that the scammers try new numbers every week. These new numbers get through BT Call Protect, requiring being answered etc.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 4 of 9

OK.  Yes the odd call does get through but much less than before.  I actually quite enjoy the odd one as I enjoy winding them up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

The new free Caller ID feature started this month, but my oldest phone does not display the number called, so it needs upgrading - and a Call Guardian would be the natural choice. However the newer phones have Caller ID working - so I don't wont to replace them: hence the above questions.
Surely someone on the BT Community has been in this position and can answer these questions?
The spam calls have been coming regularly and are of the same types - so I don't want them at all and will use both blocking systems.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 6 of 9

@RoyMSwrote:
The new free Caller ID feature started this month, but my oldest phone does not display the number called, so it needs upgrading - and a Call Guardian would be the natural choice. However the newer phones have Caller ID working - so I don't wont to replace them: hence the above questions.
Surely someone on the BT Community has been in this position and can answer these questions?
I gave you information that was best to my knowledge.  Since I replaced my previous system with the 8600 quad I am unable to answer any of your 4 questions in your OP.
The spam calls have been coming regularly and are of the same types - so I don't want them at all and will use both blocking systems.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

@RoyMSwrote:

Hi @RoyMS. You are probably unique as people buy multiple packs of phones with call guardian with a shared answer machine. Personally I cannot see your proposed system working without a central base unit. The call guardian phone has to pick up first so the other phone will probably be useless as the call guardian phone has grabbed the call.

0 Ratings
RoyMS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Thanks for your responses anyway.

Incidentally the BT Shop describes the 8600 phone as "no longer available" and instead recommends the "BT Advanced Phone" instead. So I am also considering that as a set to replace everything.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 9 of 9

@RoyMSwrote:

Thanks for your responses anyway.

Incidentally the BT Shop describes the 8600 phone as "no longer available" and instead recommends the "BT Advanced Phone" instead. So I am also considering that as a set to replace everything.

That sounds the best solution.  You will only have one connection, preferably to your master socket, and will have full functions across all your handsets, including the very useful intercom facility.  Hope it works well for you.

8500's & 8600's, number varied depending on where one bought from ( I think Argos was one ) and were certainly available a few weeks ago when I checked for another poster.

0 Ratings