cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 16

Re: Call Protect/Personal Blacklist & an idea for dealing with energy saving callers

I've only had one instance of an unwanted caller actually bothering to announce themselves, it's not a perfect solution but with what's available it worked well enough to meet my needs. I suppose that it's similar to the fact that a lot of people are reluctant to leave answerphone messages.

My personal view is that I don't think there will ever be, certainly not in the next 20 to 30 years, sufficient regulatory changes similar to what you have suggested, to prevent these calls. By the time sufficient cases have been reported, investigated etc, months if not years will have passed and they will have moved to different premises etc. It shouldn't be that way but it is.

I've got between 50 and 60 numbers on my blacklist, that's over a two year period, so a 100 limit seems about right in my experience. That's the trouble though, it's all down to our personal experience.

I would imagine that large organisations aren't targeted by phone scammers directly, but I'm only guessing. 

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 12 of 16

Re: Call Protect/Personal Blacklist & an idea for dealing with energy saving callers

Hi @Andy005 

In the final analysis are the odd scam callers that big a problem.  I bought a call blocking phone when the scams became too much to bear a couple of weeks before BT launched Call Protect. So never bothered to set it up.

If I get the odd one, provided it is at the right time, it can be quite amusing winding them up 🤣.

Sentilvalue is obviously a perfectionist

sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

You're lucky - to give you an idea of how many calls I get - from 2016 I've received about 1000 calls that I've made a note of.

The legislative change I suggested isn't that big of a deal - for example it is already a legal requirement that any telecoms equipment that is connected to the British PSTN has to have passed a raft of tests which I can't remember the name of now - the change I am suggesting is that any system/caller initiating a call must announce their number accurately on the phone system otherwise they'd be immediately and automatically disconnected - any law abiding system connecting to the telephone network should have no issues with doing this - obviously an extra layer could be built on top of this so that if a number withheld function is used then the recipient can't see the number, but the telecoms system and the authorities can (this already exists). 

If that functionality/ability of announcing (and validating) a true and valid originating number doesn't already exist, it could easily be implemented by doing a one way anonymous look up against the entity billing for the call - as a starting point this could be rolled out to the UK and then adopted in other regions if the political impetus existed.

You could argue that all that would happen is that the spammers would call from valid numbers, however these numbers could then be blocked a lot more quickly, the actual entity that will have leased the numbers could be investigated and action taken.  Remember, leasing a number costs money - spoofing a fake number costs nothing.

As to large organisations not being targeted - I doubt that - a war dialler doesn't know who it's calling ..

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 14 of 16

🤣

0 Ratings
sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 16

pompey1898 - the "odd scam caller" ? - I've received approx 1000 calls over 3 years - very roughly that is 1 per day or two - however on Friday just gone if it weren't for the fact that someone has put them on the call protect list I would have received 13 calls in one day.  Unfortunately I have no method of asking them to call at a particular time so I can wind them up (as I don't know when I'll be free to do that), but if you'd like me to pass on your number, please let me know! 🙂

The issue is that under the current system, however you block them they always find a way through because the systems that do the blocking are inadequate - it's a bit like buying a poor quality padlock to protect something valuable - you need to buy (or design) something that is up to the task that you need it to do.

As some have suggested in other posts (yes I do read them!), I wouldn't be surprised to learn if my information (number etc) isn't being sold to other parties by entities that are supposed to protect their customer information - my email address certainly has been.  On top of all this, given a telecom company somewhere (it might even be BT!) is making money from these calls, you could argue that if they delayed taking action it would mean that they extend the ability to make money from these types of enterprise ...

You say the word perfectionist like it's a bad thing - everything that you use in life that works the way it should do is due to a perfectionist somewhere - and the stuff that doesn't ... well how much does that annoy you ? 😉

0 Ratings
sentinelvalue
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 16

Can anyone from BT comment on whether the limit for personal blacklist numbers could be increased from 100 please ?

0 Ratings