I just had a message from a family member saying they called our landline from their German mobile number, and got a recorded message saying I have blocked foreign calls.
I have checked my Call Protect settings, and I seem to have the right settings. Am I misunderstanding something here?
We just tested it again, and he was definitely put through to 1572 voicemail.
As I also have an elderly relative in Spain I need to keep in contact with during the lockdown, I need to work out what is wrong.
I guess I need to just disable call protect completely and deal with the deluge of spam calls again 😞
Welcome back to the Community and thanks for taking the time to post.
Can you switch of Call Protect and ask your family member to try and call you again just so we can be sure that Call Protect is the problem?
Thanks Matt. Yes, we can do that. Does disabling/enabling take immediate effect? So we can do a sequence of call/disable/call/enable/call to test behaviour?
I have checked Withheld Numbers, and he was able to call me, so I thought it was fixed.
however then I noticed from the Call Protect call log that he used a different phone today, and asked him to try the other phone.
It seems like calling from his German mobile works fine, but calling from his German landline gets blocked. That in itself is interesting.
I should reiterate that both numbers appear in the call log, so I wouldn’t expect Withheld or Unrecognised to be at fault.
We didn’t have time to test disabling, and I couldn’t see how to do it from the web interface anyway.
can it only be disabled from 1572?
Maybe I’m over thinking this, it it looks like there is no simple way to disable Call Protect except by removing it from my call package.
Both 1572 and the web interface only allow you to toggle the following:
- the bt blacklist
- the personal blacklist
- sending withheld numbers to junk
- sending unrecognised numbers to junk
- sending international numbers to junk
These options seem to be mutually exclusive, and still leave the feature enabled.
So to disable it completely I have to go through the clunky Update Your Package interface and remove it completely.
So I guess I will just disable the blacklists and see if that helps. I don’t expect it to, because the fact that he has 2 phones with +49 numbers and one is passed through and the other isn’t suggests there is something more fundamentally wrong. Somewhere.
If disabling the Blacklists doesn’t help I will remove the feature completely as at this time reliable contact with relatives abroad is more important than the frustration of dealing with incessant spam.