Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
woodward2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 96

Re: Call Protect blacklist now full...

@Andrew221wrote:

Even had a call from a distraught lady who's number had been used in Scotland 200 times to make unwanted calls she new nothing about!!  How can people use someone else's number.

My guess is that either the callers spoof the ID with a totally random number which occasionally corresponds to a real number; or more likely spoof with a valid area code followed by a random number (I've had loads of calls from the same area code but with the last four digits changed) which has a greater chance of corresponding to a real number.

As an aside, on my mobile I've had several calls which display as a Walsall number (my locality), but which originated from Manchester and Liverpool - I know because I asked where they were based when it was obvious it was a sales call. When I pointed out that they must be spoofing the caller ID, they ended the call. Wonder why? But what is more worrying is how they knew where I lived if they only had my mobile number.

That aside, we're no nearer a solution to the landline problem, and I suspect we won't be for a long while yet. Anyone from BT listening....???

0 Ratings
Andrew221
Contributor
Message 32 of 96

You mean you've got NO answers, Waste of space

0 Ratings
woodward2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 96

BT either don't care, have no suggestions, or are incapable of solving the problem.

Hmmmm .... maybe time to look into other providers or solutions.

As Donald Trump would say "SAD!"

Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 96

@Andrew221wrote:

Weekly update

10 unwanted calls this week, 3 from Canada, 1 from USA.  With ALL international call blocked.

Even had a call from a distraught lady who's number had been used in Scotland 200 times to make unwanted calls she new nothing about!!  How can people use someone else's number.

If you don't mind me asking, why would you have received a call from that lady?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 35 of 96

@woodward2wrote:

@Andrew221wrote:

My guess is that either the callers spoof the ID with a totally random number which occasionally corresponds to a real number; or more likely spoof with a valid area code followed by a random number (I've had loads of calls from the same area code but with the last four digits changed) which has a greater chance of corresponding to a real number.

As an aside, on my mobile I've had several calls which display as a Walsall number (my locality), but which originated from Manchester and Liverpool - I know because I asked where they were based when it was obvious it was a sales call. When I pointed out that they must be spoofing the caller ID, they ended the call.

Many "proper" companies these days have VoIP switchboards/internal systems - so even if their physical office is based in one place, their actual contact number can be pretty much anything. When they call out, the exit point into the telephone network can be local to the actual place they're calling. That reduces the number of telephone exchange hops, and hence can reduce the cost of their calls.

0 Ratings
woodward2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 96

@Andy_Nwrote:

@woodward2wrote:

@Andrew221wrote:

As an aside, on my mobile I've had several calls which display as a Walsall number (my locality), but which originated from Manchester and Liverpool - I know because I asked where they were based when it was obvious it was a sales call. When I pointed out that they must be spoofing the caller ID, they ended the call.

Many "proper" companies these days have VoIP switchboards/internal systems - so even if their physical office is based in one place, their actual contact number can be pretty much anything. When they call out, the exit point into the telephone network can be local to the actual place they're calling. That reduces the number of telephone exchange hops, and hence can reduce the cost of their calls.

So that means they appear "local" to me? Very convienent - for them, because it makes me more likely to answer.

0 Ratings
Andrew221
Contributor
Message 37 of 96

I don't mine you asking at all.  I rang the phone number received, this is something I've tried on occasions, normally i get a message staying this number is not recognised, but this time it rang!  I left a message and the lady rang back, she is on Virgin and has complained to them and the police, she could not beleive that someone had used her number, she even switched her phone off after receiving 200 people complaining to her!  Then when she put it back on the next day, because she needed to use it.  I had rung... 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 38 of 96

@Andrew221wrote:

I don't mine you asking at all.  I rang the phone number received, this is something I've tried on occasions, normally i get a message staying this number is not recognised, but this time it rang!  I left a message and the lady rang back, she is on Virgin and has complained to them and the police, she could not beleive that someone had used her number, she even switched her phone off after receiving 200 people complaining to her!  Then when she put it back on the next day, because she needed to use it.  I had rung... 

Crikey that's bad isn't it.

Call Protect won't help, no matter how many numbers are allowed to be blocked. A lot of people do ring back missed calls, probably before "blocking" them.

I too ring some received numbers (prefixing 141 to withhold my number), and in most cases I check the ofcom site list of phone number allocations. Virtually all the one's I've rang have not been valid.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 39 of 96

I just want to know why international calls are not blocked???

Blacklist full too!

Rob.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 40 of 96

Have you set Call Protect to block them ?

0 Ratings