cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elvisnugent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 51 of 60

Re: Call Protect blacklist now full...

I had a spoof call which had a local area code, the a genuine caller to whom I shouted at felt really stupid

0 Ratings
elvisnugent
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 60

Yes this happed to me had a spam caller, using a local area code,  then someone I new rang  just saw the area code and shouted down the phone, felt really sorry for the poor girl as she rang to pass a message on about an order😶

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 53 of 60

Same here ... had a spoof call then a real caller 10 seconds later (which is a common ploy of the spoofers btw), was very "short" when I answered it, and to make matters worse it was a parent of one of my daughters' pupils!

Rob.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 54 of 60

I would like to add this too in case it helps people plagued with nuisance calls.

I have set my mother's phone up with the Do Not Disturb +VIP list service under Call Protect. This does cost £3.00 per month. However I think it's worth it. I monitor her phone all the time (I am 250 miles away from her). The Do Not Disturb is set to send ALL calls 24/7 to the junk mail folder. Then, I have set up her VIP list of numbers to allow friends, family, doctors,carers etc through. Took a little effort to do, but she has now not had a SINGLE call hit her phone over the last 3 months and wake her up etc (or worse, ask for her bank details and PIN!). I can see her allowed calls getting through just fine.

I have also been blacklisting some of the numbers out of curiosity to see which numbers come up regularly. Today I had a fake 020 number first blacklisted 19th Feb turn up again!!! About no. 90 in the list!).

I keep a spreadsheet of her call numbers too. Weds and Thurs are the most active days for her scammers with 7-10 calls per day blocked.

Not sure when scammers will stop because their autodialers will see a call sent to voicemail as an answered call, and therefore log the line as active and keep scamming it.

In the end ideally something has to be done to stop the scammers faking/spoofing the calling number and then a lot of these calls can get blocked. Hopefully BT are "researching" how to do this???

TPS is of course useless in this context - but you do see lots of people complaining to them about these "cold calls" about energy saving windows with (a non-existant) government grant, appliance insurance/waranty running out, and the best one I have had  "the Telephone Preference Management Service".

Anyway, hope the above is useful (no I don't work for BT!). Would be nice if the elderly could have this DND+VIP service free and be saved from all this hassle - so long as they have someone who can set it all up for them.

Rob.

JR011147
Beginner
Message 55 of 60

Re: blocking international calls

I only have on international phone number that I use (family number) Can I block all other calls received from suspected overseas call centre and just have the one I want?

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 56 of 60

I don't think so with the current BT Call Protect system. You could do it with the DND+VIP service I described in my previous post - but this service does cost £3 per month.

The big problem is that the fake(spoofed) numbers, many 020 (ie "London") are in fact from overseas anyway and something needs to be done to stop this practice.

My mum's number of blocked calls (all fake/scammers) now stands at 496! So, that's nearly 500 calls which she has not have ring her phone! 

I have also had the 1471 ringback facility removed from her phone as well - she was ringing the scammers back, most did not connect of course - but she could have hit one which did ask her for bank/card details - and with dementia, this is of course was a big worry for me. NO LONGER, as only legit calls actually ring!

Hope this helpful to someone who reads this.

Rob. 

0 Ratings
Carefree
Beginner
Message 57 of 60

Hi Rob,

How did you go about removing the 1471 ringback facility? It's clear from my mother's bill that she must be using this when she's not sure who called her and wants to check....  It's resulting in additional charges on her bill when most of these callers are not welcome or legitimate in the first place.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 58 of 60

@JR011147 wrote:

I only have on international phone number that I use (family number) Can I block all other calls received from suspected overseas call centre and just have the one I want?

You have also posted on a separate thread, but I’m replying here.

The BT Call Protect guidelines are that if you set the caller as a vip, then this overrules all other settings. Thus if you set to block international calls, then the international  vip caller will still come through directly.

However many calls are fake numbers, and the occasional fake may come through the system. 

The vip option is a paid for add on to Call Protect.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 59 of 60

I called the BT Network team who said they could remove the 1471 or just stop the ringback ... just give them a call and it will get sorted. It does of course stop the ringback charges too as a bonus.

BT Network Team is 0800 919 591 (write it down quick as it'll probably get removed)

zero eight hundred nine one nine five nine one  !!!

Rob.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 60 of 60