cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 71 of 96

Re: Call Protect blacklist now full...

@lionesswrote:

If a number looks like it comes from London, then it still could be international? 

The number is irrelevant on these scams, the scammers can pretty much use any number they wish through the VoIP systems. I don't believe the international message flag (which is actually a digital message in the call transport system) can be inserted by VoIP systems directly - it needs to go through the international gateways.

It might be possible to do as your question implies.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 72 of 96

Many of the scam numbers are prefixed wit 020 ... but they are scams from abroad. If there was a way to stop them looking like real UK numbers I am sure BT would have been onto that if they could. It all rather depends on at which point the faked number is injected into the phone system - it may well not be on equipment in BT's juristriction.

Others are 0161 pretending to be HMRC

0300 type numbers using banking numbers or emergency service numbers

01293 (Crawley) is common - often about your appliance warranty which has run out and you need to tell them your bank details so they can set it up again - how many people fall for that one?

In the end, if it's not a call from someone you know, then it's probably a scam these days. That's why I pay for the DND+VIP service. It blocks ALL calls unless it's on the VIP list. Easy to understand, easy to use, just a bit of  a pain getting any alternate numbers some services you want/need are using - but a quick phone call or email will sort that.

Shame it costs £3.50 per month.

Rob.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 73 of 96

I'm ex-directory and always have been.  I don't release my number except if I call people I know.  I don't answer calls where I don't recognise the number - let it go to voicemail.  I don't have Call Protect.  I get hardly any of these calls - we get a few on one of the mobiles, because we used to answer them.  Almost no one has our mobile numbers.

0 Ratings
lioness
Contributor
Message 74 of 96

So are we, but anywhere you put your telephone number online is trouble.

0 Ratings
gspearson
Expert
Message 75 of 96

We don't do that either - but are happy to receive emails.  If a purchase site demands a number I usually make a mistake of one digit. They don't need to phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 76 of 96

@gspearsonwrote:

We don't do that either - but are happy to receive emails.  If a purchase site demands a number I usually make a mistake of one digit. They don't need to phone.

That implies you're advocating potentially someone else get calls for you, or letting the "other" person get calls they shouldn't.

I guess you'd be happy for a similar person putting a mistake of one digit in their number, giving yours "by mistake".

Scammers don't use lists, they call numbers at random or follow patterns, hence will eventually pick up most people. Some will get lots, other may not receive scam calls - or all of a sudden get them.

0 Ratings
tickhill
Expert
Message 77 of 96

Using TPS probably no good because, as I understand it, only UK Companies have to abide by TPS listings and callers from outside the UK do not - so foreign callers just ring.

Because I have no need to receive overseas calls I have blocked all overseas calls in the Call Protect section

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 78 of 96

The implication that for an overseas/international call to be identified by the system is that it will have an international flag set in the frame. The suspician is that the spammers using VOIP cannot set this flag, and therefore those numbers which come up on your caller display looking like international numbers firstly are not international and maybe won't be blocked because they don' t have the international caller flag set.

Rob.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 79 of 96

@tickhillwrote:

Using TPS probably no good because, as I understand it, only UK Companies have to abide by TPS listings and callers from outside the UK do not - so foreign callers just ring.

Because I have no need to receive overseas calls I have blocked all overseas calls in the Call Protect section

IMHO the TPS is, and always been, a total waste of time.

0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 80 of 96

Same here. Can't add any more but cannot decide which ones to delete as they may be back again.

0 Ratings