cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andrew221
Contributor
Message 41 of 96

Re: Call Protect blacklist now full...

We have call protect set to block all international call and still receive calls from China, America, Canada, Russia, Austrialia, New Zealand and others  WHY????  Personal blacklist is still full at 100 and 480 calls sent to junk.  

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 42 of 96

yes, of course. My Call Protect is set to stop Withheld, Unrecognised AND International calls. But still they turn up as do +1 and +2 prefixed numbers. Totally useless. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 43 of 96

@RobFletcherwrote:

yes, of course. My Call Protect is set to stop Withheld, Unrecognised AND International calls. But still they turn up as do +1 and +2 prefixed numbers. Totally useless. 

As a matter if interest, when you receive these international calls, are you seeing an international number - and/or does your phone device say it's "International".

I believe the system relies on an "International call type" within the call data to block these calls. If scammers present an international number, then it may not contain this call signal.

Of course, if the calls are showing the type, then something else is wrong. And if Withheld numbers are set to block, but are not - then it's also pretty bad. The Withheld block is easy to check, get a neighbour to call your phone - by prefixing your number with 141 to block the number - then it should be blocked. (This is BT, not sure about other companies).

0 Ratings
whowhatme
Message 44 of 96

Hi , newbie on this site .

I noticed a strange thing today .

100 numbers in blacklist .

Received 5 scam calls today so went through the arduous task of making room (which takes ages) .

I use the latest Opera browser with it's built in Add-blocker .

It blocked 37 adds as I deleted the old numbers and added the new scam calls .

Could advertising revenue be the reason BT are shafting us ?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 45 of 96

@whowhatmewrote:

Hi , newbie on this site .

I noticed a strange thing today .

100 numbers in blacklist .

Received 5 scam calls today so went through the arduous task of making room (which takes ages) .

I use the latest Opera browser with it's built in Add-blocker .

It blocked 37 adds as I deleted the old numbers and added the new scam calls .

Could advertising revenue be the reason BT are shafting us ?

Not entirely sure what you are saying - what has this got to do with BT and advertising, or is this a cynical way of saying that BT only allow 100 in the blacklist, so that adding/removing more needs action via the website and hence see the adverts?

In my view, Call Protect is not fit for purpose, and scammers know this - as they keep changing the spoofed number in their VoIP system, so it doesn't matter how many numbers are allowed in the blacklist. Also there will be overheads as the exchanges need to interrogate the list before calling the end user. If the list was larger and larger, then as there is a finite amount of processing power, the exchange may not be able to cope.

Some scammers will use the same "calling number" for a time, so adding to a blacklist may stop the odd call, but eventually it will have no effect.

0 Ratings
whowhatme
Message 46 of 96

Andy_N

"Not entirely sure what you are saying - what has this got to do with BT and advertising"

Sorry  , I was suggesting that BT only give 100 in the blacklist so that we are forced to logon to delete old numbers and , therefore , forced to get the adverts . If that makes any sense 🙂

I don't know who the adverts are from as I can't see them .

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 47 of 96

Sadly BT Call Protect is now not as useful as it could be. Also, I see why 100 is probably the limit too.

I use the Do Not Disturb and set it to  send all calls to voicemail al day every day. I then put "allowed" numbers in the VIP list (ie friends, family and essential numbers like services, doctors etc)

I have had ZERO rings now from scammers. Plenty in the call list, but never a ring!

Problem solved if you can be bothered to set up your VIP list. Shame it costs money -maybe elderly should get it free or reduced???

rob.

0 Ratings
murph001
Message 48 of 96

The TPS is a complete waste of time, in fact, I would suggest they are complicit in supporting the cause of cold callers rather than preventing them, after I registered with TPS the volume of cold calls increased dramatically. I have escalated numerous complaints of unsolicted calls and recieved no response.

BT are failing their customers terribly. they are not doing anything near enough to protect customers from this persecution. I get anything from 2 to 15 calls per day and my call protect blacklist is full. Call protect is rubbish in so much as it only allows calls to be blocked retrospectively, ie after the call has been made. 

In the end I purchased and installed a trueCall blocking device which filters all calls and only allows through numbers that have been authorised. it cost over £100 and I was sceptical at first, been in use for 2 weeks and it is fantastic, not a single nuisance call has got through.  worth every penny...

Dave M

0 Ratings
woodward2
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 96

Well, it's been six months now since I started this thread. There are obviously many people with the same issue, but still no reply from BT. And I agree that the TPS is a total waste of time.

So I have started to see the calls as a form of amusement and not get wound up by them. Sometimes I just tell the person to "go away" (or words to that effect...); sometimes I ask if they enjoy lying to people for a living or ask them what their real name is; sometime I answer all their questions with ludicrous, random words; sometimes I don't say anything at all, just to see how long they ramble on for; sometime I try to "out-friendly" them and engage them in conversation; there's no end to the fun you can have if you are in the mood for it. 

However, it would be nice not to have the problem, and I could manage to live without my daily dose of cold caller baiting.

BT are you listening?

I won't be holding my breath...

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 50 of 96

@woodward2wrote:

Well, it's been six months now since I started this thread. There are obviously many people with the same issue, but still no reply from BT. And I agree that the TPS is a total waste of time.I agree.

So I have started to see the calls as a form of amusement and not get wound up by them. Sometimes I just tell the person to "go away" (or words to that effect...); sometimes I ask if they enjoy lying to people for a living or ask them what their real name is; sometime I answer all their questions with ludicrous, random words; sometimes I don't say anything at all, just to see how long they ramble on for; sometime I try to "out-friendly" them and engage them in conversation; there's no end to the fun you can have if you are in the mood for it. I used to do that if the calls came at a time when I had time.  More often they came at an inconvenient time.  Although I have a call blocking phone I don't bother using it as Call Protect works well enough for me.

However, it would be nice not to have the problem, and I could manage to live without my daily dose of cold caller baiting.

BT are you listening?

I won't be holding my breath...

0 Ratings