Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Call Protect service.

Can I ask for some advice on a simple issue.

How good is the Call Protect service?

Will it ever deal with the accursed fake number bandits, for example.

I am frequently pestered with calls about my computer, my broadband, my finances and so from calls appearing to have some 16 digits, (for example, just the latest one 00871060365014)

Other calls come from numbers prefixed with 00, and yet others seem to be viable UK numbers although probably delisted ones.

How does the service define an "International" number? Does it look for the word "International" or does it check the prefix which often seems to be mobile numbers from Asia.

One notable example in the UK is the practice of John Lewis sending you an automated message to confirm delivery details. It originates from an 0345 number but the Caller Display screen shows that and dreaded word "International" Would that be blocked or not?

What use is the "Withheld" option if it is a global ? Sadly many legitimate callers, Hospitals, Doctors and Dentists routinely use this tactic so you can't really block them.

Alan
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Andy005
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Call Protect service.

As a 'free' service it works quite well in my opinion. I allow withheld numbers and the only unwanted calls I get are from spoofed numbers, probably about 5 per week on average. I will change my handset in the near future to something like the BT4600 which has the call blocker.

pompey1898
Expert
Message 3 of 6

Hi @Alanrf ,

Like most things in life, call protect is not perfect as the scammers are using spoofed numbers.

However, I think it is good as it significantly reduced the number of nuisance calls I receive.

If you want to go the whole hog get a full monty call blocking phone, there are many on the market.

0 Ratings
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Thanks.  Agreed, little in life is perfect.  As almost all of my unwanted calls are spoofed numbers, or some very odd "International" numbers  it seems likley that I won't bother with Call Protect.

The number of "Unavailable" calls has almost ceased these days and, for obvious reasons, I am unwilling to block "Withheld" numbers.

If I could certain that "International" calls were blocked on a basis that doesn't include those such as John Lewis seems to use, (0345 xxx),  together with "International")  I might be tempted there.  Sadly, there seems to be no explanation anywhere on this point.

Alan
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

@Alanrfwrote:

If I could certain that "International" calls were blocked on a basis that doesn't include those such as John Lewis seems to use, (0345 xxx),  together with "International")  I might be tempted there.  Sadly, there seems to be no explanation anywhere on this point.

International call blocking would work, but only if the call actually came through the international gateways and a call message flag of International added.

Numbers that show as 00xxxxx look international, but unless they have that flag, they are simply typical spoofed numbers.

So does John Lewis actually show an 0345 number with international call type set?

0 Ratings
Alanrf
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 6

Yes.  In the past 18 months I have had three appliance deliveries and each time an automated call advised me, confirmed, the day and time of the delivery.  Each time the "international" flag was shown.

I did mention it to their Customer Service but they didn't know of, or didn't want to resolve, the contradiction.

Hard to believe from such a major retailer - but perhaps no one is perfect after all.

Alan
0 Ratings