Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mopet
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Call blocking

Go to solution

my 88 year old mother cannot receive my calls when I phone from Spain on my house phone or Skype. She just gets a call display 'International Call Blocked' . However when I phone on my Spanish mobile the call gets through OK.

i cannot understand why this should be other than because she has a package to block nuisance calls it is recognising both my house phone or Skyoe as a nuisance call.

Whilst recently in UK with my mother I contacted the BT help line and reported the fault but alas as with other times I have contacted BT on my mothers behalf I was assured that an engineer would call back but this has never happened. I am now reduced to calling my mother on my Spanish mobile which she recieves OK and then she hangs up and watches her phone display whilst I Skype her and as soon as she sees a message International call blocked she picks up and we are in contact.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be the problem ?

is there a method by which my mother can identify only specific numbers that she wants to receive calls from ie Family, doctors, dentists etc?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Call blocking

Go to solution

What phone handset does she have, as that is most likely the cause of the blocking. Either that, or a TrueCall unit connected to her phone.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

The problem is your spanish landline is not presenting your number, just the generic 'International' which for most cases needs blocking. Your mobile on the other hand is presenting the calling number. I.e the nuisance call blocking system can't differentiate between unwanted calls and your calls.

Highlighted
Mopet
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi, BT4500

0 Ratings
Mopet
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Licquorice,

Thanks for your reply, you have confirmed my suspicion that it is in fact the nuisance call feature of her phone that is blocking my calls, presumably your observation also includes the Skype calls I make?

i fear the only solution is for me to continue as i am doing although a little inconvenient it works. Perhaps there is a phone available that only allows defined selected numbers for incoming calls to her phone, I will have to do more research.

cheers

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

You should be able to unblock any numbers which display a valid number by adding them to the contact list on the phone.

Simply "International" or "unavailable" calls are blocked by default when Call Guardian is switched on.

I am not sure how Skype calls appear, but I suspect that they would be "unavailable".

0 Ratings
Mopet
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Hi Keith,

thanks for for your advice 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

can we block  nuisance calls

0 Ratings
parthabus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Hi,

Sorry for your inconvenience. please set up your caller ID on the account for calls to be recognize.

Caller identification lets your friends, family, and business contacts know that it's you calling them or sending an SMS message. When you set up caller identification, your mobile number or Skype Number is displayed when you call mobiles and landlines from Skype.

Caller identification is free to set up and use.

You can do this from Skype Website as well

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Hi @parthabus ,

You have posted on a 3 year old thread.  It is possible that the OP is no longer on the forum.

0 Ratings