cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Call centre cold call.

Recieved a cold call from an overseas call centre informing me that my broadband is being used by other IP adresses.

Very difficult to understand what the caller was saying, spoke very quickly and her English was hard to de-cypher. I was  sent a verification PIN via email which I read via my smart phone. I explained that I had to bootup my PC, I was told I was wasting her time and then hung up.

The email address was - btcomms@info.bt.com  Is this a legit BT address?

Is this a Genuine BT call centre or a scam? If it's not a scam, then BT need to sort their customer service approach out, or there'll be one less customer.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Call centre cold call.

See

https://www.bt.com/help/home/scams/

on that page it says

Your broadband service

We'll never call and:

• Tell you your router or IP address has been compromised
  • Tell you your broadband has been hacked
  • Threaten to disconnect your service unless you make a payment immediately.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

I keep getting these calls too. I can barely understand what the callers were saying so I just hang up but it's extremely annoying, especially getting a call at 8am on a Sunday morning!  I don't know how they're getting my number as I don't give out my landline number to many people. I've also had what I assumed was a spam email from BT this morning which I've marked as spam and blocked. If this goes on, if BT need to get in touch with me I think they're going to have to post messages in my online account or send me the information by Royal Mail for me to believe it's really them.

Highlighted
Message 4 of 6

Thanks, Still not sure if a scam or not, but they did have my BT home number and email address linked. It was a very busy call centre. During the call I heard in the background other operators stating they were calling from BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Hi DGM,

Thanks for posting. I can completely understand your concerns. This was most certainly a scam call and you were right to hang up. As @zulu17 has mentioned we would never call you to tell you your router or IP address has been compromised.

Cheers

David

Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@tansycat wrote:

I don't know how they're getting my number as I don't give out my landline number to many people.

They do it by calling numbers at random, so many that they will readily hit BT subscribers who answer. You can deal with it by letting unrecognised calls run to answerphone with a recorded demand to leave a message, or by using a call screener such as the BT 4600.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings