Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heatherwood01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Call from 0800 169 1608 scam?

Go to solution

I just received a call purporting to be from BT saying that they had been informed I had requested to take over this number [that is my land line number] today and that if that was me to just hang up and no further action would be necessary.  Alternatively, the female scottish sounding voice said, if it was not me, please press 1 to speak to an advisor.  I did not, of course, suspecting that this is a scam call, but checked on-line to see if there was any info on this 0800 169 1608 number and can see that it has been reported as one used by scammers, with several variations on the theme - all callers claiming to be from BT.  

Has anyone else experienced this recently?  And please BT can you block this number?

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
pompey1898
Expert
Message 2 of 21

Re: Call from 0800 169 1608 scam?

Go to solution
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

The number is a genuine BT one, but the problem is that caller IDs can be spoofed by scammers. I doubt that BT would make automatic calls asking you to press a number to speak so you were right not to rise to it.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
-Richie-
Expert
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

It's a genuine number and BT do send automated calls due to a working line takeover, I recieved one when a neighbour moved to Vodafone but gave my address instead of hers.
You will also recieve a text, email and letter notifying you of the takeover.

Just ring BT on 150 or 0800 800 150 and ask for the Loyalty team, they are open until 9pm tonight and they can cancel the takeover with 1 click Smiley Happy

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

@-Richie- wrote:

BT do send automated calls due to a working line takeover

That surprises me. Pressing a number in response to an unexpected and unsolicited call is asking for trouble.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

@-Richie- wrote:

It's a genuine number and BT do send automated calls due to a working line takeover, I recieved one when a neighbour moved to Vodafone but gave my address instead of hers.
You will also recieve a text, email and letter notifying you of the takeover.

Just ring BT on 150 or 0800 800 150 and ask for the Loyalty team, they are open until 9pm tonight and they can cancel the takeover with 1 click Smiley Happy

Its probably too late now for @Heatherwood01 as the line takeover will probably go ahead, and they will lose their phone line.

0 Ratings
Heatherwood01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

I sincerely hope it isn't too late, as there must be a scam going on somewhere.  I absolutely haven't been in touch with BT earlier in connection with changing my number - and I can't imagine that BT would make an automated call like this, just asking the peron who answers to press  1 to speak to an advisor if it were not the answerer who requested the change.  For a start, how do they know the identity of the person answering the phone ?  My feeling is that if one pressed 1, one would be asked for personal info. - a clever way of obtaining it for a scammer!  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

@Heatherwood01 wrote:

I sincerely hope it isn't too late, as there must be a scam going on somewhere.  I absolutely haven't been in touch with BT earlier in connection with changing my number - and I can't imagine that BT would make an automated call like this, just asking the peron who answers to press  1 to speak to an advisor if it were not the answerer who requested the change.  For a start, how do they know the identity of the person answering the phone ?  My feeling is that if one pressed 1, one would be asked for personal info. - a clever way of obtaining it for a scammer!  

Its possible that you may have misheard the message, which may have said that another person wants to take over your line. This can happen as @-Richie- has said, if someone gives the wrong address.

There would be no harm in calling BT and checking that there is not been a takeover request.

0 Ratings
Heatherwood01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Apparently someone did call BT this morning at 5am and asked to take over my line!  This gets very scary... They ahve now cancelled the request, but tell me they can't find out who initiated it.  Why on earth would they accept a request like that without getting back to the account holder immediately - not 12 hours later and with an automated call just saying to press 1 if  the person answering had not made the request.  

The BT person I was speaking told me 5 minutes ago that he was putting me through to a complaint line to so I could tell them in detail what has happened.  I held on and kept getting the 'we are v. busy message' , but when it got to 9pm the line was just cut off!  So I have been left in limbo - except that I have been assured that I will not now lose my line.  

Not sure what else to do

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Expert
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

@Heatherwood01wrote:

Apparently someone did call BT this morning at 5am and asked to take over my line!  This gets very scary... They ahve now cancelled the request, but tell me they can't find out who initiated it.  Why on earth would they accept a request like that without getting back to the account holder immediately - not 12 hours later and with an automated call just saying to press 1 if  the person answering had not made the request.  

The BT person I was speaking told me 5 minutes ago that he was putting me through to a complaint line to so I could tell them in detail what has happened.  I held on and kept getting the 'we are v. busy message' , but when it got to 9pm the line was just cut off!  So I have been left in limbo - except that I have been assured that I will not now lose my line.  

Not sure what else to do

It's ok, no harm was done and the request is cancelled Smiley Happy

Someone has ordered line and/or possibly broadband and gave the wrong address, my next door neighbour did it, it happens, also people moving in a new house can get the address wrong, again it happens.

BT can't stop you leaving, they don't need your consent, all that's required is another ISP contact BT to say they intend to take over your line, the order wasn't placed at 5am, it would of been done yesterday, that company process the order and BT are notified, it's all automated and why it shows at 5am.
The good news is it takes 14 days to go through, to prevent mistakes like this happening, believe it or not but some customers do leave BT, however to stop mistakes happening the 14 day lead time exists, to make extra sure it's intended BT will contact you by phone, text, letter and email, if you were intending to leave you ignore the request, if you do wish to stay you contact BT and with 1 click the takeover is cancelled, which has now been done.

A complaint won't do any good, BT have done nothing wrong, Ofcom guidelines state customers can switch freely without needing to contact their existing provider, the gaining provider do the notification, it's just in this case the gaining provider were given the wrong address.

You've had the takeover stopped, you will remain a BT customer, go enjoy the weekend Smiley Happy

0 Ratings