cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pompey1898
Expert
Message 41 of 71

Re: Call to tell me internet being terminated?

Hi @c64z80 

Been registered with the TPS for over 20 years, and it is a complete waste of time.  However if you have the time to waste that's fine.

Do you have BT Call Protect that will stop a lot of scam & nuisance calls, or better still a call blocking phone which will block everything you want to to ?

0 Ratings
c64z80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 71

I do, but I've only been with BT for about a month or so.

Before that I was with Talktalk, and before that Sky without the call shields or whatever else they call them. In between those I have had 3 different numbers because we have moved house as well, and TPS worked on all of them.

I don't know what caused the calls to drop to near 0, maybe it wasn't TPS, maybe it was, but signing up to it has I think helped in our case. Parents were picking up those calls nearly every hour on some days, and even some in the evening too, before TPS.

Or maybe they just got tired of us not giving into their scams and moved on to somebody else, but with 3 different numbers, unlikely 😛 

Looking around, it seems TPS has only helped a very small percentage of people. However unlikely it is, or close to impossible, someone else might be in that small percentage here too. So I post it as an option that seems to have worked for me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 43 of 71

TPS will not stop scammers, period, how can it? It will only stop legitimate businesses calling you and not even all of those.

0 Ratings
c64z80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 71

Well, the types of calls we got before TPS ranged from "You have been selected for our prize draw!!" with a computer voice to "Madam or Sir, Talktalk has found a problem with your router/computer/internet" with an Indian accent.

I'm not sure if they are scams or just cold calls, but those were the type we were getting.

The odd one still gets through, don't get me wrong and there are days when there are a few but it's so rare now and nothing like how it used to be before.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 45 of 71

My mother has been on the TPS for years. In the last 18 months this is a screenshot of the scam calls sent to her voicemail. Hope this dispels the myth that TPS has any real tangible effect on the non-legit scammers!

An yes, I have checked every number that has gone there, and they all come up as knwon scams (just aask google - with "02055534567 who called", insert the suspect number of course!

scams.JPG

Rob

0 Ratings
c64z80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 46 of 71

I wasn't spreading a myth though Rob. Just explaining my experience.

I don't know what else it could be... magic? Luck?

Maybe you can explain? Because I can't.

Anyway, enough about me. I've posted enough and I have other problems of my own on here that need their own answers.

I wish you the best of luck in finding possible solutions though 🙂 

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 47 of 71

Sorry, not saying you've had a good experience!

But it can escalate and get out of hand very quickly. Luckily none of these calls actually got as far as ringing the phone.  I'm sure other people are getting more than this. The running average is around 12-15 per week, with 2 weeks hitting 35! I have got it all graphed too.

Rob

0 Ratings
Caher
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 71

Working from home at the moment and I got about 15  today - totally ridiculous. 

0 Ratings
Darky
Beginner
Message 49 of 71

What happens if you press 1 as I have just done ?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
lifeonmars
Contributor
Message 50 of 71

Darky asked  "What happens if you press 1 as I have just done ?"

You usually get connected to a scammer who will try and steal your bank details.

0 Ratings