cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 51 of 84

Re: Call to tell me internet being terminated?

@Darky wrote:
What happens if you press 1 as I have just done ?

They now know there is a real person on the end, and you will get a lot more calls.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 84

We found registering with the TPS worthwhile as it greatly reduced the number of 'legitimate' cold callers. In addition, for some years now, we've had a BT8500 Advanced Call Blocker cordless phone which uses Call Guardian. We find this means the phone never rings when scammers etc. are calling. When they ring, they get a recorded announcement telling them to state the name of their business and the reason for their call. None of them have ever done so, having just hung up and gone away. If they do state their name etc., the phone will ring, and if we choose to answer it we'll get to hear them saying who they are. If it's not the plumber I rang for a quote yesterday for example (who's number isn't in our address book), we can either just hang up or take the call. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 53 of 84

I’ve started getting these calls but only after I changed t9 BT Business broadband.

I suspect someone within BT is selling details,

It may be best not to dial 1471 if you miss the call (they could phone you, pretend to hang up and then play a dial tone waiting for you to press the 1 key).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 54 of 84

@Somertonianwrote:

I’ve started getting these calls but only after I changed t9 BT Business broadband.

I suspect someone within BT is selling details,

It may be best not to dial 1471 if you miss the call (they could phone you, pretend to hang up and then play a dial tone waiting for you to press the 1 key).

Hi.

Spammers have auto-dial systems, and will not have dialled all the millions of numbers in the UK - but eventually they will dial someone who has never had these calls before. Even if you've got a new number, it my only be new to you and used before - indeed it could even be a number not used before. Scammers' equipment could still dial it.

There have been suspicions that there are rogue call centre employees passing on details of people (not just BT), so it is possible.

If you hang up and wait a few seconds, you can then dial 1471 without issue. The network was changed a few years back to prevent the caller holding the line (for up to 90 seconds I believe) when the called person hangs up.

Highlighted
Message 55 of 84

100% a scam! Really common one too. Report to action fraud and also on https://scam-numbers.co.uk  post the number who called you so people know to avoid 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 56 of 84

Try whocalledme ,  site . put the number in see who and what scammers can do..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 57 of 84

Hi @Andy_N ,

Until I read @oldles post I was unaware of https://who-called.co.uk/.  I tried using it for a few of my blacklisted numbers and low and behold it brought up a number of scammers.

Why can't BT use this, or perhaps an even more sophisticated tool, to identifiy  scammers and close them down ?

Given your status perhaps you could flag this up tp the mods ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 58 of 84

If it was that easy do you not think that all the phone providers world wide would be blocking the numbers. Scammers spoof phone numbers so that they appear to be another number and not the original. It is the spoofed number that you are seeing. You are not seeing what the original number is. This means that they can just keep using as many spoofed numbers as they want and as often as they want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 59 of 84

@pompey1898wrote:

Hi @Andy_N ,

Until I read @oldles post I was unaware of https://who-called.co.uk/.  I tried using it for a few of my blacklisted numbers and low and behold it brought up a number of scammers.

Why can't BT use this, or perhaps an even more sophisticated tool, to identifiy  scammers and close them down ?

Given your status perhaps you could flag this up tp the mods ?

There are a wide variety of sites that are effectively forums of received calls and peoples' experience. Some of the reports actually give misleading information, some are wrong, some people give bad advice, but the vast majority are simply reports about spoofed numbers.

BT do have their call protect system, which as well as individually controlled, there's supposed to be a central database.

The numbers reported are not just those allocated to BT. There are a lot of companies that are allocated number ranges, the ranges are controlled by Ofcom.

Anyway, they are pretty much all spoofed numbers, and the calls have not originated from those numbers - it is done by VoIP systems. As gg30340 says, and I have said it for a long time - if it was that easy to prevent it, all the companies around the world would have done so. It's a worldwide problem, not just BT.

With regard status, that's a forum generated feature using a "secret" algorithm, probably based on the amount of posts etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 60 of 84

scam.jpg

I see the argument about spoof numbers , but having some kind of reference point is useful,  like knowing the number was used for scam calls . if you look at the posts on that site the scammers must use the same numbers for some time ..  

0 Ratings