cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
altyfc
Beginner
Message 21 of 31

Re: Call to tell me internet being terminated?

I had the same call just now and hung up.

Before I picked up, it just showed the call as 'INTERNATIONAL'.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 31

Just to make it clear, these have nothing to do with BT Retail. Customers of other Service Providers get the same calls.

If you respond, then they know there is a real person on the end, and will add you to a "suckers" list, and you will get even more calls, so just hang up and do not speak, or press any buttons.

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 23 of 31

The problem I see though is that many people have answering machines, with their own message in their own voice too. I suspect the computer software these spammers use will not differentiate between a real answer and a machine answer. Also, BT Call Protect (etc) will also provide some speech saying the call is going to voicemail. Again, probably not differentiated.

The long answer is that any call which is not just left to ring will make the suckers list or stay on it!

I set up (and monitor) my mums phone with the Do Not Disturb + VIP list part of BT Call Protect (chargeable service).

In 29 weeks, calls varied from 5-33 per week. On a daily basis Mon 56, Tue 74, Wed 69, Thu 71, Fri 68, Dat 37, Sun 5. From 7am through to 1 am as well!

These are all calls which have gone to her voicemail and DID NOT ring her phone. 274 nuisances calls avoided in 29 weeks! As a person with severe dementia (95 yrs old) and lives on her own, these are calls that she did not need! She needs her landline for her 24/7 safety monitor/pendant, an she would never remember to keep a mobile charged!

I cannot stress enough how well this system works if you have the time to populate the VIP list with friends/family/doctors etc. In a number of cases I needed to talk to her doctors/carers etc to get a list of all the possible numbers they may use to call her. It cost £3 per month, and lets me monitor and check it from 250 miles away. Thanks BT for this service - maybe it should be free, especially for the elderly? 

I just hope now we have the reporting system that there is a team of busy BT beavers checking the commonly reported spam call numbers and adding them to the BT Blacklist in BT Call Protect.

Rob

0 Ratings
Merc44
Message 24 of 31

So glad I found this discussion. I had this exact same call today, having moved house over a fortnight ago. The screen did read ‘INTERNATIONAL’. I handed it to my Mum and she put the phone down without pressing anything.

It’s probably lack of landline protection. When I grew up we had countless scam calls, even at midnight, and we eventually set a filter up. When we moved in 2015 we had pretty much none at all. Since we moved in 2019 we’ve had two so far (the first one was from Holland).

It’s a shame the protection described here isn’t free but we’ll set it up. Thanks for talking about this.

0 Ratings
Carol2
Beginner
Message 25 of 31

Just had automated call saying about to lose broadband and press 1 for technician.? Scam

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 31

Re: Just had automated call saying about to lose broadband and press 1 for technician.? Scam

use search there are many scam post like yours

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 27 of 31

Re: Just had automated call saying about to lose broadband and press 1 for technician.? Scam

Hi @Carol2 welcome back to the community.

@imjolly is spot on, there are a number of threads from customers receiving unsolicited calls from scammers masquerading as BT unfortunately.  If this happens again, you can flag this directly to BT in the details on this form Report a scam call

Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
Rainsberger
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 31

Hello

I get these calls frequently which are Scam calls i just ring 1572 option 1 to block these kind of calls but the trouble is they just use another number it's becoming a pain.

0 Ratings
mistie710
Message 29 of 31

This still seems to be a thing. Just had a call from 02094894889 with the same recorded message saying that I can talk to engineers regarding the situation by pressing 1. Hung up and will be adding to my blacklist. I suspect that a number of other calls that I've missed through being at work have been from the same people.

0 Ratings
DouginSurbiton
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 31

Me too - they have called about 10 times in 2 days - always with a different number - they can obviously defeat the called number function. This seems to be a major ongoing problem - is anyone trying to fix it?!
0 Ratings