cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 31 of 48

Re: Call to tell me internet being terminated?

Can't be fixed I'm afraid. The calls come from abroad (in the main) using computers and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP). When you set up a call that way you can choose whatever number you like as your originating number, and then that's what gets to your caller display. Trouble is, UK companies also use VoIP, but of course use their company number as originating! So, you can't just block numbers coming into the UK this way. So, it's open shooting season for all scammers to call UK landlines and mobiles!

The only way we as individuals can block this is to buy a call blocking phone or pay for the Do Not Disturb + VIP list from BT at £3.50 per month. This way we can make sure only numbers we actually want to ring the phone get through and all others are rejected.

So far 796 calls have been blocked from my mum's phone using Blacklist and VIP. She gets on average 13 calls per week. Very few on Sat or Sun.

Rob 

Rich4
Message 32 of 48

I've just had this call...

from 00 1441 435 085 465

Sounded like a crowded asian call centre, claiming they are working on behalf of open reach to upgrade my internet connection.  I'd be without internet for 6 months whilst they did this.  I got passed on to the 'supervisor' and I asked if he was with 'SKy' he said yes, I said his last fella said he worked for Virgin Media.. he cam e back with ' Sorry we are with EE'  I asked if he was sure- then he hung up...

Come on BT, why are we doing the work to protect ourselves from these time wasters? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 33 of 48

@Rich4wrote:

I've just had this call...

from 00 1441 435 085 465

Sounded like a crowded asian call centre, claiming they are working on behalf of open reach to upgrade my internet connection.  I'd be without internet for 6 months whilst they did this.  I got passed on to the 'supervisor' and I asked if he was with 'SKy' he said yes, I said his last fella said he worked for Virgin Media.. he cam e back with ' Sorry we are with EE'  I asked if he was sure- then he hung up...

Come on BT, why are we doing the work to protect ourselves from these time wasters? 

Hi, welcome to the forums.

As has been said on numerous occasions, this is a worldwide problem. If it was an easy fix for the telephone companies to prevent this, they would be doing so.

The call has come from a VoIP system with a spoofed number. The caller might sound like they're in a busy office, but what is likely is that the scammer is in a small office simply playing a recording of a busy office in the background.

0 Ratings
c64z80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 48

It might be of little help to anyone else, espically as these calls originate from abroad.

But one thing that might help, if you haven't done so already, is to sign your telephone number up to the telephone preference service. This is a free service backed by the government and any number on this list is not allowed to be called, unless you give that company permission beforehand. I was getting lots of scam calls from Indian call centres telling me nearly the same thing and ever since I signed my number up to this list, they have dropped to almost zero.

I'm not sure of the rules of posting links here but a quick search online for "telephone preference service" will bring the page up to the first result, it is an .org.uk site.

I might be repeating what others say, because I haven't read all of the posts yet, but I hope this helps 🙂 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 48

TPS only protects from legitimate businesses cold calling, it is of absolutely no use against scammers.

0 Ratings
c64z80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 48

OK. At least it helps with reducing legitimate cold calling though, and there are a lot of those too.

Not a lot of help, but help it is.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 37 of 48

@c64z80wrote:

It might be of little help to anyone else, espically as these calls originate from abroad.

But one thing that might help, if you haven't done so already, is to sign your telephone number up to the telephone preference service. This is a free service backed by the government and any number on this list is not allowed to be called, unless you give that company permission beforehand. I was getting lots of scam calls from Indian call centres telling me nearly the same thing and ever since I signed my number up to this list, they have dropped to almost zero.

I'm not sure of the rules of posting links here but a quick search online for "telephone preference service" will bring the page up to the first result, it is an .org.uk site.

I might be repeating what others say, because I haven't read all of the posts yet, but I hope this helps 🙂 

The TPS is less use that a chocolate teapot.  Even more so when it is a VIOP spoofed number.

As you said you have not read many posts yet, search for "scam" or "spoof" and stand well back.

c64z80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 48

I'm only speaking from my own experiences, so it might very well be a chocolate teapot in the grander scheme of things.

Maybe I just got lucky or they found me boring, but so far I've signed up 3 different phone numbers over the past few years when we changed provider or moved house and before I signed up I was receiving those types of calls sometimes nearly every hour. Ever since I signed up to TPS they have dropped to almost zero.

I don't know what else it could be, but TPS seems to have worked for me, and it might work for somebody else here too at least.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 48

Extremely unlikely.

0 Ratings
c64z80
Aspiring Contributor
Message 40 of 48

Extremely unlikely is still not impossible 🙂 

If it doesn't work for you, all you lost is 2 more minutes putting your number on the TPS list.

0 Ratings