cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
peterraikman
Contributor
Message 11 of 31

Re: Call to tell me internet being terminated?

I had the same today 14th Nov, from 01267 267892

0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 12 of 31

Please see my 4th post in this thread. Hopefully it will help those with elderly parents who may well have some form of dementia and could easily fall prey to these scams, of which there are very many. The washing machine insurance one is doing the rounds too - beware. 

Blacklisting these days doesn't help a great deal because a) you have already taken this call, and may well have fallen for it, and b) the scammers change their numbers now all the time, so 100 numbers on the blacklist does not cut it. My advice is to check out the Do Not Disturb+VIP List facility at £3 per month.

Rob.

0 Ratings
keithwjones
Contributor
Message 13 of 31

Washing machine call is quite clever. I was aware before they called because they had already made a silent call.

They obviously have access to a good database but it appears to be an old one.

I had had the machine they mentioned but it had gone some time ago. 

I would think another company has had their data hacked, what do you think Bosch?

Keith

0 Ratings
jcmaslen
Message 14 of 31

I received the call and so have my elderly parents - its obviously a scam but what are BT doing about it?????

poldark1
Message 15 of 31

I have had 2 this morning so far!!  so have blocked the number i will wait and see if the calls still gets through??

0 Ratings
DeyrickG
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 31

Had one this morning as well, Automated Scam Voice, American accent, just hang up.

0 Ratings
mossr6
Message 17 of 31

I just received a call this morning from a man claiming to be a BT Engineer. He said my internet was compromised from hackers in California and that my connection would be terminated within 24 hours. He asked me to google 'my1ps' and to tell him what results came up on the screen. This thread, discussing this scam, appeared as the top result. My guess was that he was about to ask me to download software, but fortunately I put the phone down before he could get any information that he could use. 

0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 18 of 31

See this post https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Report-a-Scam-call/m-p/1901810#M61657%2Fjump-to%2Ffirst-unread-... about reporting Scam Calls to BT!

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
RobFletcher
Expert
Message 19 of 31

Thanks for the info about reporting scams ...

So, I have had 549 scam calls that have gone to voicemail. Since the scammers change their numbers all the time, the black lists are probably not going to work much longer. Wish I could report ALL those numbers. Even uploading my current blacklist of 100 numbers would be a help. Not easy to decide which numbers to delete as I have had numbers from months ago come up again.

Also, the reporting form won't let you paste the scam number into the box using MS Edge! So, it's a pain and error prone process to manually type them in.

But thanks BT, this is a good start.

Rob.

0 Ratings
poldark1
Message 20 of 31

I tried blocking the number but they still managed to ring me!!!!!!!!!!

thank you so much for the link I now have reported it to the action fraud

0 Ratings