This is my first post and would appreciate some advice on how to get our problem fixed and retain my head of hair too
Our caller display service (which is enabled - the *#234# thing confirms this) has not worked since there was a lightning strike in our immediate area some weeks ago. One handset stopped completely from showing any new call information (nor does the red light flash to notify us of a new call) and the other sometimes may decide to show part of the incoming number followed by "error" and other times shows nothing. Neither unit corrected the current correct time which I understand is included when a new call comes in.
So, the assumption was that both units had met their maker, and I purchased 2 new handsets (with Caller ID) - one corded and the other cordless - and lo and behold they aren't showing the Caller ID either (they just display "Incoming Call" or "No caller Information" - but the information is available at the exchange when you dial 1471). Several visits from BT have followed, culminating in them saying that it is not their problem (as far as the engineer has been able to establish) and it must be our equipment. ** By the way, all the tests regarding the above 4 handsets have all been conducted by plugging in directly to the connection in the bottom right hand corner of the master socket with the faceplate removed.
The last engineer who came borrowed a Caller Display Unit (a cheapy with single line display) from a colleague and tried it on our line at the exchange and the incoming number showed OK. He then came to our premises and plugged the same display unit in and again the number displayed OK. Unfortunately at this point he said he was not able to take matters any further and the fault was marked as "cleared". However it still did not display on any of our four devices, so the following day, I took three of our handsets to a friends house and all devices past the Caller Display test that we did.
I now have reopened the case via My BT website (where it says "are you happy that the fault has now been fixed?") and am waiting for a BT response. However, on reading of similar issues that others have had I gather that it is not something BT Openreach should be trying to fix and that it is BT Operate who should be handling matters.
I expect that next I shall get a call from an Openreach engineer saying "I understand you are having problems with your line"..... Any advice and suggestions on how to proceed would be most welcome. Should I phone 151 again and risk them opening yet another new fault case (back to the beginning - again!), or phone 151 and try to pressure them to refer this case to BT Operate (telling them how to do their job)?
We are paying for £4 pcm. Total Care - supposed 4 hour response, and that's a bit of a joke quite frankly....
Solved! Go to Solution.
As you are on Total Care, are you a business customer?
Do you have broadband on the line as well?
Hi Devon Dave
Thanks for your suggestion - as mentioned in my opening discourse, all the tests regarding the 4 handsets have all been conducted by plugging in directly to the connection in the bottom right hand corner of the master socket with the faceplate removed. So, whenever I test for the caller display, there is nothing else plugged in (not even the ADSL).
I spoke with the BT Faults people on 151 yesterday as some one had apparently closed the fauit off as fixed - it has now been reopened (again!) and he has promised to have the issue referred directly to the Network people. So, watch this space - you never know, it might be fixed by next weekend :-)
Well - the fault is now fixed, thanks to an Openreach engineer who took our two new handsets down to the exchange today, tried them on our line down there and found neither worked.
Bottom line is that the Broadband was interferring with the CLI. Apparently there are two types of Caller Display units - analogue and digital. The cheapies (like those that display a single line of data) are usually analogue but most devices (such as handsets) are digital.
The analogue ones worked OK but the digital ones didn't until some equipment was changed over. He told me that if we didn't have broadband at the house, then the digital handsets would have worked, but when there is broadband the phone signal takes a slightly different route through the exchange equipment and the issue was there.
I probably haven't explained it quite correctly as an BT Engineer would, but "hey I have my Waldorf Salad!"- so I am a happy bunny!
Hello I was told caller display would start on 31/12/14 and on 26th Jan I finally got in touch with BT who said they would fix fault. I have contacted BT about 7 times now as Caller Display works once or maybe twice then goes again. I switched off my broadband and hey presto I have Caller Display. I contacted BT again tonight and pleaded with the operator to please pass onto the Engineer all the information I have gathered re your fault and the problem being that the signal was being warped when sent from the exchange. Here's hoping Bighibby