Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave1966uk
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Caller ID fault. 2.5 weeks getting nowhere

Hi

Anyone know how to get faults progressed.  I have Bt Call Protect and had had diversion on the line for sometime during my mother's illness.  When I turned the diversion to divert only if not answered I found the Caller ID did not work.  This was on the 4th November.  Now it is the 21st and I am losing it.  I have had to reopen the fault several times as I get a message saying it is fixed only to find it isn't.  On the two previous Caller ID faults a "lift and shift" was done to fix it, but when It asked this time they said this only fixed broadband problems.  I asked for second level support and was told I couldn't have it as it is a free service (obviously Line Rental doesn't count).  Even more ironic is when they say they have fixed it, the page where to click to say it isn't doesn't work!  A fault on their own faults page!

Really don't know how to get this fixed as spent so much time calling, being asked to do this and that for the nth time, twice it has been removed and reappliled to fix it and it hasn't.

Any magic numbers or email addresses I can use to try and get this sorted?

Many thanks

David

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Caller ID fault. 2.5 weeks getting nowhere

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 6

Any lightning storms in your area around the time this CLI problem started ?, assuming you also have ADSL or VDSL on the same line , it was ( and may well still be ) the case that a close by lightning strike could damage broadband equipment in the exchange or FTTC cab ( depending on what type of service you have ) unfortunately although it’s a broadband fault , it has no obvious effect on the broadband service itself, but on the telephony service that shares the copper pair....in essence , the calling line information that is generated by the ‘exchange’ and sent to line as a FSK burst , immediately before the ringing condition, in effect passes in and out of the broadband equipment and onto your landline handset , under normal circumstances your equipment deciphers this FSK data burst and displays the calling line information, it seems it’s possible a fault on the broadband port corrupts the burst of FSK , so when your handset receives the ‘data’ it’s unreadable, so the phone displays a generic message ‘incoming call’ or similar , the problem is , if reported as a telephony problem, potentially the FSK signal is checked at the exchange as it leaves the telephony equipment, but it’s not faulty there, so there is a good chance the engineer closes the fault as right when tested, but if you report a CLI problem to your broadband provider , they may well ask why you are reporting a telephony issue to them.
Should you raise a fault and get an engineer visit, it may be worth asking if they checked the CLI FSK both into and out of the broadband port, counter intuitively, it may need a change of broadband port to sort out a telephony problem.
This issue came to light a few years ago but supposedly it was addressed by ensuring both fault receptionists and engineering staff were aware of this issue, so it’s possible that this has already been eliminated as your problem, but possibly worth mentioning if you get the chance
Message 4 of 6

Hi @dave1966uk, welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm really sorry to see your caller display isn't working. If you turn the divert off or divert all calls again does the caller display start working?  

0 Ratings
dave1966uk
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Sadly not. Dead as a dodo. A month now. Called 151 yet again and they said there was a national issue and a piece of equipment needed changing in the exchange and they would call back. They haven’t. 

Had a few scam ‘there’s a fault with your by broadband. Press 1 to get it fixed’ calls but can’t not answer the phone

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Hi @dave1966uk,

Welcome back to the Community, thanks for posting.

Sorry that your Caller Display fault is taking so long to get resolved.

I've sent you a Private Message with details on how you can get in contact with the mod team so that we can take a look into this for you.

Thanks

Matt

0 Ratings