Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
awg0407
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: Caller ID not working - 'support' will not fix

Go to solution

A nice young man called Craig seemed to have taken ownership of the problem and was trying to arrange an engineer visit.  But I've heard nothing for over a week, now.  I hope he's not unwell!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 21

Go to solution

have you tried dialling *#234# and listen to what announcement you get?

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Reed_Richards
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 21

Go to solution

That's a new one on me, Devon_Dave.  I tried it on my phone and got "Callers' identities will be displayed.  Please hang up."  Are there more such codes and where are they documented?

0 Ratings
awg0407
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 21

Go to solution

It said 'Callers' identities will be displayed' - they're not, so this just means the flag's set on their cocoa tin.

0 Ratings
awg0407
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 21

Go to solution

And another fortnight drifts past in the languid summer house party that is BT Customer Support.  The gentlemen are playing croquet on the lawn while the ladies sit under the shade of the old oak tree sipping Earl Grey and Lapsang Souchong from the finest bone china tea service.  The ladies were much amused when one of the maids, bringing a tray of deliciously thin cucumber sandwiches, started to talk about 'customers'.  Does the poor thing not realise that 'customers' are just stories made up to frighten the children at Christmas?

0 Ratings
AJDUK
Message 16 of 21

Go to solution

Hi awg

Did you ever get this fixed? I have the same problem, caller ID sometimes works but mostly doesn't. I've tried multiple replacement phones to no avail. I've phoned BT India twice regarding this and both times followed their script which involves messing with the master socket. They then log a problem, a couple of days later I get a text to say it's fixed but of course it isn't. On and off I get really hot under the collar about it but mostly I've just given up. Caller ID worked perfectly for years until about 6 months ago. At the time I assumed it was the phone but I now know it isn't.

I think they've dropped the power with which the ID is transmitted to me and so it only sometimes works. But that's just me guessing. Anyone any ideas?

I used to get Caller ID free under the privacy at home scheme but they now charge for it. Since I'm paying for a service that doesn't work my only option would seem to be to cancel it but I'd like to be sure everything has been tried first.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
awg0407
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 21

Go to solution

Yes, it got fixed in November after reporting in June.  The problem was at the exchange and the actual fix is a few seconds to reset something - the soul destroying nightmare is trying to get BT to accept that there is a problem and to push the button.  When I reported the problem on this forum, in desperation, there was some initial response from our friends in Northern Ireland (I believe! apologies if the location is wrong!) but then it all went quiet.  At this point I got an email for the BT AGM (being a shareholder, obviouly bad karma on epic levels) with a 'comment here' option - so I did.  Politely bewailing the appaling standard of BT customer service which was obviously leading to the haemorrhage of customers to Sky, etc.  Surprise, surprise, an engineer was in my house within a week and confirmed the situation at the top of this post.  That didn't actually solve it, but a little later the same engineer was back, re-confirmed the diagnosis and it actually got fixed that day.

Now that they're charging for it, of course, they are in breach of contract if it isn't working and there are obviously some nuclear options like the fraud act, trades descriptions act, theft act, etc.  Personally, I'd have absolutely no qualms about seriously heavyweight threats and following through - the useless **bleep** in charge of BT support deserves to spend a few months on the wrong end of B-wing without the comfort of a new Bentley and a 7-digit bonus.  (Rant over).

There's always the option to switch supplier, after all they're NOT providing the contracted service so there should be no penalty.

Don't pull your hair out, the b*g*ers aren't worth it...

0 Ratings
AJDUK
Message 18 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply & encouragement. I'll have a third try at fixing it. I re-negotiated the whole service back in May and I'm pretty sure they screwed something up at the time.

What annoys me about BT India is that it seems that it doesn't matter what the fault is, they won't do anything unless you crawl about on your hands and knees messing with the master socket no matter how many times you've done that before. TBH it puts me off phoning. Cheers and HNY.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
sleedale
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Go to solution

I'm reviving this out of desperation. I hav exactly the same problem as the original poster. Same response. BT India tonight told me it was a national problem....no it blummin well isn't. My neighbours works fine, with my blummin phone. I also am now on the third handset when the problem is at the exchange, I know it is. They have tried to fix it 5 or 6 times, and according to the engineers there isn't a fault. Except there is.

perhaps BT should do what we do and search online and realise what needs to be done. I am sick and tired of being fobbed off. Tonight I lost the plot, and if it's not sorted by Tuesday, because of course it's the weekend and nothing can be done until Monday? Well come Tuesday, no more paying BT. When they come looking for their money, then I might get the problem fixed.

so a simple reset in the exchange? Might go down and have a look myself tomorrow, as I do work weekends!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 21

Go to solution
@ sleedale you have been offered help by the forum mods on this thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Phones/appalling-service-from-BT/m-p/1551216
0 Ratings