Did you mean: 
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 1 of 43

Caller ID service that is not fit for purpose

@Andy_Nwrote:

@watfordihwrote:

Keith_Beddoe, they ARE to do with BT.

I agree that BT did not make them, but it is BT and a few other large, arrogant companies like them that allow callers to spoof the caller Id number through VOIP. VOIP has NO benefit to the ordinary subscriber - only, perhaps, for big business.

As I've said before, number spoofing is designed to disguise identity which, in the real world  is immoral, if not illegal. If I pretended to be Keith Beddoe and took money out of his bank account, I would be guilty of identity fraud and branded, rightly, a criminal. These scammers are perpetrating identity faud all the time to extract money from subscribers bank accoiunts. Even when the scammers are not succesful, they are a b***** nuisance and wasting our valuable(?) time. 

BT have NO right to allow such illegal activities through their network.

As it happens, this is a worldwide issue. There are a lot of VoIP companies out there, not just for big business - e.g. Skype.

Companies legitimately use delivery numbers for their systems, BT is one of them. When BT call, the person will be calling from an office extension which will have it's own individual number - but when received to the outside world, it's a specific number and set by their internal switchboard system. They use a few delivery numbers, depending on the type of help/contact.

Lots of other companies do the same.

If it really was that straightforward to stop it, either by altering the way VoIP systems integrate with the network or other methods, then it would be done by now.

Be aware that this might need some form of OFCOM intervention or agreement.

I don't see Comcast or AT&T in the USA doing anything to stop it either.

So BT is charging money for a Caller ID service that is not fit for purpose and is knowingly allowing fraudsters to send fake Caller IDs to my house

Yes I will be contacting OfCom and Trading Standards

0 Ratings
42 REPLIES 42
Highlighted
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 2 of 43

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

Just to add to the above here is the BT public document called "All about Caller Display"

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8502/~/all-about-caller-display

Does it mention that they have known for a very long time that this is easily spoofed?  No

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 43

So BT is charging money for a Caller ID service that is not fit for purpose and is knowingly allowing fraudsters to send fake Caller IDs to my house

Caller ID is free with BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 43

@Stevek1311wrote:

Caller ID is free for BT retail, and many other phone companies.

As I said, this is a worldwide issue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 43

@Stevek1311wrote:

Just to add to the above here is the BT public document called "All about Caller Display"

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8502/~/all-about-caller-display

Does it mention that they have known for a very long time that this is easily spoofed?  No

I agree that the wording on that page is poor, and should say something about fake caller IDs. With regard Ofcom, they do have advice of course :-

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/tackling-nuisanc...

0 Ratings
keithwjones
Contributor
Message 6 of 43

I have been getting these calls for last few weeks.

Today from 01265 096 924

Keith
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 43

@keithwjoneswrote:
I have been getting these calls for last few weeks.

Today from 01265 096 924

Keith

Hi.

You can report the calls here :-

https://www.bt.com/consumer/edw/scams/

(though I don't believe it's actually worth it for most of them) - in this case 01265 is a protected range and not released by Ofcom. So a guaranteed scam and nothing that can be done to trace anything.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 8 of 43

@Keith_Beddoewrote:

Caller ID is free with BT Retail.

But you have to pay for BT Retail so it is part of the advertised service I and others pay for. 

It's false advertising and by deceiving customers into believing those calls are from genuine London landline numbers they are actively helping scammers to access the vulnerable.  If I were BT right now I would take a long look at their legal liabilites for their part in any scams enabled by their defective caller ID system

0 Ratings
watfordih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 43

Well said Steve.

Caller Id is not free. It is what is usually called bundled or standard. I.e. all subscribers pay for it as part af their service fee - whether or not they use it.

Also, the fact that it is bundled (standard/free?) does not justify a deficient product/service.

If your new car brakes failed, the manufacturer would not dream of saying it's OK because they were free!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 43

@watfordih wrote:

If your new car brakes failed, the manufacturer would not dream of saying it's OK because they were free!

And if a third party tampered with them you would not blame the manufacturer.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.