Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 21 of 43

Re: Phone calls regarding Internet being "compromised"

@gg30340wrote:

Nowhere does it say that it will stop scammers from calling you.

All it says is that it allows you to see the number and you decide whether to answer it or not. It is up to the individual to be aware of how the deal with people on the phone just as it is if somebody called at their house door and tried to sell them something. 

Shops sell locks and don't tell you that they can be picked or the door forced open even if the door is locked!

But the linked BT advice clearly says "All about Caller Display" and then go on to further say "Caller Display shows you the number of the person calling"   http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8502/~/all-about-caller-display 

But we know it too often shows anything but the number of the person calling.  Seven calls here in the last week  of these falely labelled calls that BT tell me I can trust that the ID is correct.

At the very least 'all' should mean all material facts but that advice doesn't does it.  And if you go searching OfCom you'll find that BT have known of this issue for a very long time

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 43

If you feel that strongly that there is a problem with the wording make a complaint to BT and Ofcom. Please keep this thread updated with how you get on.

EDIT: I meant to add that I can not find in the above link anywhere that  BT states you can trust the ID is correct so your statement about  "Seven calls here in the last week  of these falely labelled calls that BT tell me I can trust that the ID is correct" is not exactly accurate.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 23 of 43

@gg30340wrote:

If you feel that strongly that there is a problem with the wording make a complaint to BT and Ofcom. Please keep this thread updated with how you get on.

EDIT: I meant to add that I can not find in the above link anywhere that  BT states you can trust the ID is correct so your statement about  "Seven calls here in the last week  of these falely labelled calls that BT tell me I can trust that the ID is correct" is not exactly accurate.

It says:  "Caller Display shows you the number of the person calling"

But actually it shows you any old number they've fabricated to con people into taking the call and beleiving it's genuine.  IE not THE number of the person calling

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 43

... but you said "BT tell me I can trust that the ID is correct"  when in fact it says no such thing!

Any way I think this has now been done to death. As I said, complain to BT and Ofcom and let us know how you get on.

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 25 of 43

@gg30340wrote:

... but you said "BT tell me I can trust that the ID is correct"  when in fact it says no such thing!

Any way I think this has now been done to death. As I said, complain to BT and Ofcom and let us know how you get on.

Already have formally complained

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 26 of 43

And this very morning a reply from OfCom

Loads of words to the effect that "we're in the pocket of the phone service providers so even if you're right we won't do anything"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 43

@Stevek1311 wrote:

Loads of words to the effect that "we're in the pocket of the phone service providers so even if you're right we won't do anything"

... but then again you could be wrong so there is nothing to be done!

0 Ratings
Stevek1311
Expert
Message 28 of 43

@gg30340wrote:

@Stevek1311wrote:

... but then again you could be wrong so there is nothing to be done!

But were you able to refute that BT's claim to tell all about Caller ID misses put a very key material fact?  No

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 43

I don't need to refute it because as far as I can see what you have said is not relevant and apparently Ofcom agree but obviously you disagree so I'll leave it at that.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 43

Sorry, text got deleted in error. About to resubmit.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings