Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thatfatbloke
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Calling out diverts to 0871 number

Go to solution

Hi,not experienced this one before. Incoming calls are fine,but if I try to make a call I get a message asking me to phone an 0871 number. I either get this or 'The number you have dialled has not been recognised' or just get nothing at all. Dial tone is strong and loud. Tried two different phones in the master socket to no avail - same thing happens. We had Infinity installed a few weeks ago.The 0871 message mentions someone called Citrus Telecom,I have looked at their website and they seem a respectable enough company. When I ring the 0871 number I get a message to do with a 118 directory enquiries number which is giving 10p of every enquiry to a charity. To cut a long story short we have a BT engineer coming Wednesday afternoon to suss it out. What I'm concerned about is the risk of being charged £99 if BT say it's not their fault. Well it's not my fault!!. In short,the only number I can ring is 0871 918 9188. Can the engineer actually do anything about it?. Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Calling out diverts to 0871 number

Go to solution

Do you have a calls package with another supplier? try and prefix a number with 1280

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
thatfatbloke
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Brilliant. Pre-fixing with 1280 works!!. Thank you. I've tried it on both landline and mobile numbers. No calls package with other suppliers. So - what's the problem?. Should I cancel the engineer?. 

0 Ratings
thatfatbloke
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Well - it seems I no longer need to use the prefix. I used it twice and now I seem to be able to make calls without the prefix. Confused.com. Will now endeavour to cancel the engineer. Wish me luck and thanks again.

Was able to cancel quite easily (0800 800 151) - five minutes later I get a text from BT saying ' Our engineer will visit....' AAAARRRRGGGGHHH.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Dialling 1280 takes off any Carrier Pre select (other providers) and puts the calls back with BT.

It is not something that can be fixed by an engineer visiting, I would suggest you talk to someone to cancel the visit as if the engineer turns up, makes a test call (which would be successful) he would then bill you for the visit.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Its possible that your line had been crossed with another, for a short period, until the error was discovered. You would have been trying to make calls on another person`s line, which is why you would have got a message.

0 Ratings