Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Lib
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Calls for someone else

I've had my BT line for about 3 months now and whenever I'm home during the day and occasionally in the evening after work I get calls which aren't for me.

Is it possible that BT have given me a number that was previously assigned to someone else? What's the best way to stop this from happening?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Calls for someone else

It's quite likely. There are only so many telephone numbers, so on a busy exchange, it may be impossible to allocate a number that's never been used by anyone else.
0 Ratings
kevandclo
Message 3 of 8

Hi there,

I've just seen this post here.  I know it was posted quite a while ago, but I just wondered if anyone had any further advice. 

We've just got a new service from BT and a new number.  Since the very day and hour it got connected, we've been harrassed with constant calls for someone else - banks, debt collectors, automated messages and some guy in an office somewhere (who I swear I've told several times now!!). It's obviously a different address as well.  I called BT and they said this guy used to have our number.  Fair enough; there's only a limited number of phone numbers.  The number was disconnected for 6 months though.

Every time someone phones I tell them that I am not this guy, noone by that name lives here, noone by that name has EVER lived here (certainly not in the last 5 years), I don't know anyone by that name, I don't have an account with your bank, I don't owe money to whoever you are collecting for, can you PLEASE take this number off your call list???  The callers always apologise very sincerely (when it's not an automated message), but then the very next day "*ring ring*.. Can I speak to Mr...??"  I don't know if it's the same people calling again and again, but realistically, there are only so many banks and organisations that this guy can possibly be being chased by.

Is there ANYTHING that I can do?  Because it's genuinely driving me nuts. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

You could try this service. BT may still be offering the first month free.

Choose To Refuse - Reject unwanted callers

0 Ratings
Jackk14
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

I too am getting a lot of marketing calls and calls for a man named 'Mike' from day 1 of having the line connected.

Literally, the number went to the 3 people who live in the house, and 1 relative outside of this address so we know its not down to us.

BT should, for free, provide the service to block these unwanted, nuisance phone calls, as we receive them through no fault of our own.

Why, exactly, must a phone number be that length? I wouldn't, personally, object to have another 2 or 3 digits added onto my landline number, if it made it unique and unused before, meaning I wouldn't get these nuisance calls. (Obviously, I'm not blaming BT for the length of phone numbers as I obviously don't know anything about it). 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

BT cannot be responsible for what comes in from the network, any more than any other Service Provider. BT offer a blocking service for up to 10 numbers, or you can purchase an external unit which

screens your incoming calls.

You cannot have any extra numbers added to your landline.

0 Ratings
Sal123
Message 7 of 8

I have been getting calls for a Mr & Mrs Osborne since I got my phone connected after moving here 5 years ago. All junk callers who say they got the number from some database. When I ask for more information about the database they hang up.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 8 of 8

Simple fix.  Sign up for BT Call Protect and block the number.