cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jacquih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Can I get a new number?

I have been registered with TPS for years and recently registered again and it told me I am already registered. Anyway, I am getting calls from textphones and heaps of sales calls, international & local. I have been trying to contact companies who said they will remove me but never have. Its driving me insane now, I no longer answer my phone unless I see a number I recognise and been missing some calls I needed. Can you tell me if I can possibly get my number changed? Thanks. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
confounded
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I get a new number?

Supposedly, yes. I've been told I have to lodge a "renumbering order" tomorrow to get my elderly parents former phone number reconnected, as BT cut them off a month early (they move next month) and are reconnecting them tomorrow but have to do so on a new phone number! hence the need then to place a 'renumbering request'. Good luck with your attempt.
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

@jacquih wrote:

I have been registered with TPS for years and recently registered again and it told me I am already registered. Anyway, I am getting calls from textphones and heaps of sales calls, international & local. I have been trying to contact companies who said they will remove me but never have. Its driving me insane now, I no longer answer my phone unless I see a number I recognise and been missing some calls I needed. Can you tell me if I can possibly get my number changed? Thanks. 

I believe you can get a new number but will be charged for this. If you believe that a new number will stop you getting unsolicited calls then you are sadly mistaken.

They might slow down the number of calls for a SHORT time ,but most of these calls are random diallers, so whatever number you have it will get around to you.

TPS are useless.

If you are fed up with this type of call then do a google search for "Call blockers". I know of two, the Truecall unit (I can recommend) and the CPR call blocker that will block nuisance callers.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

toekneem wrote:

TPS are useless.

Not completely. I've been with them for years; almost never get UK cold calls and I've recommended it to others who have found that theirs have ceased after registration. On one occasion that a call got through to here, I complained to TPS and eventually got an apology from the company.

TrueCall and CPR get good reviews, CPR being less than half the price. A search for Call Blocker on Amazon will bring up some useful info.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

@pottyperson wrote:

@toekneem wrote:

TPS are useless.

Not completely. I've been with them for years; almost never get UK cold calls and I've recommended it to others who have found that theirs have ceased after registration. On one occasion that a call got through to here, I complained to TPS and eventually got an apology from the company.

TrueCall and CPR get good reviews, CPR being less than half the price. A search for Call Blocker on Amazon will bring up some useful info.

I'm glad the TPS works for you, certainly does not work for meSmiley Frustrated. Now if I complain about a number that calls repeatedly I complain directly to the ICO.

I still get a list of numbers that have called from the Truecall logs, although they have not actually rung my line.

There was some Parliamentary select committee meeting set up for the 15th Aug looking into nuisance calls. Lets hope they can help.

I know they are looking into getting the telco's to incorporate Int Caller ID and other problems with Nuisance callers.

toekneem

(EASBF)

jacquih
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for all the replies peeps, gonna ring BT tomorrow when I get a chance just to see what they say. Failing that I will look into what you've said about TPS etc, thanks. 

0 Ratings