cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Can I recover a lost phone number - Sentimental value

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can advise. My parents had the same phone number from before I was born so at least since the 1970's. My mother passed when I was young in the 80's and my father passed away recently. He was with Talk Talk for his landline at the time of his passing and my sister cancelled the contract in the summer. I have since bought the family home and would very much like to recover the phone number that our family had for so long. I'm with Plusnet who have given me conflicting advice on whether it's possible. I'm happy to but out my current contract and move to BT/whoever if it means I can be assigned that number. My family moved to this house in '82 and it would mean a lot to me if we could keep the number.

Does anyone know if it's possible?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can I recover a lost phone number - Sentimental value

@IngloriousG 

Welcome to this user forum.

If the number was originally issued by BT, at  your current address, then the number will belong to BT, and its normally possible to get the number back, by returning to BT as a customer. That is the only way.

You would need to transfer your service to BT and you would initially be given a new phone number. Once this is active, you just need to request a renumber back to your original number.

Its most likely the number does belong to BT, because of the length of time it was issued, however you can check this if you wish.

If you have a quick look at the OFCOM website :-

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/numbering/index.htm#geog1

and download the spreadsheet that contains your local  number range (note the numbers exclude the leading zero). The line in the spreadsheet will show to whom the range is allocated.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for your reply, Keith. That sounds promising. I'm not able to get access to the spreadsheet on the OFCOM site for some reason but we were certainly with BT up until my dad started shopping around in the last 15 years or so.

I'm out of contract in march so I'll talk to BT and consider paying off my Plusnet contract.

Cheers. 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@IngloriousG wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Keith. That sounds promising. I'm not able to get access to the spreadsheet on the OFCOM site for some reason but we were certainly with BT up until my dad started shopping around in the last 15 years or so.

I'm out of contract in march so I'll talk to BT and consider paying off my Plusnet contract.

Cheers. 🙂

Ofcom site has moved https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/information-for-industry/numbering/numbering-d...

Data still not accessible by public any more. I can understand the reason for that, because of its misuse by spam callers.

I do have some of the most common ranges already saved. What are the first six digits of the number that you want to recover, and I will look them up?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Try putting the full telephone number into this website where it says ‘partial number to lookup’ https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

Click the lookup number button then check the operator as that’d be the rangeholder/owner of the number. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

I would not put your full number into any public website, unless you want lots of spam callers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7