cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
1-1-1
Beginner
Message 1 of 19

Can a call centre hack my number???

Every day between 6pm and 7pm I get calls from people in the local area saying they have received a call from me.  When i say calls, I mean every 2-3 minutes. 

Some people who call say they hear what sounds like a call centre, but then the line goes dead.  Doing 1471, they get my number, realise its local and call me to find out what I want.

I have to say, the people calling me are very supportive and more pleasant to speak to than the frustrating waste of space that is the BT call centre!

BT have sent an engineer who says there is nothing wrong with the line. He has never heard of such a problem in over 30 years and suggested we try a new phone (which we have and unsurprisingly, that did not fix the fault).

Has anyone had this happen to them??

Can anyone suggest a possible solution??

BT seem totally unable to assist

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Can a call centre hack my number???

Have you tried 1471 to see who called?

The other option is for ask BT to withhold your number, so that if they do a 1471, there will be no number given.

0 Ratings
1-1-1
Beginner
Message 3 of 19

so many people call me its untrue!  i can 1471 most of them but i dont need to really as i chat to most of them to see if i can get any further info to help BT solve the mystery.  they are all local people. 

this fault is a real hassle 😕

it appears to be me that is calling heaven only knows how many people

when the recipients of these calls do 1471, they get my number

sometimes they answer the phone, they get what sounds like overseas people on the end of the phone which then goes dead.  when they do 1471, they then think perhaps it is not a nuisance call because they see it is a local number calling - namely me!!

needless to say, i have not randomly decided to make 100s of local calls in the style of a call centre - which is why i wondered if it is possible for someone to get in on my line ... for one hour a day!  it is very bizarre.

Keith, i can see with-holding my number would help me to stop getting all the call backs, though would not stop all these people getting what is effectively nuisance calls.  It may well come to that though if I can't get it resolved. Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

There is a possibility that one of the UK Based BT Care Team could help, provided that you are paying BT for your calls.

There could be a fault in the exchange.

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they may be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
oldie68
Contributor
Message 5 of 19

Could someone be having some sort of elaborate joke at your expense? Alternatively, I believe it's possible to fake the 'originating number' .... does your number have a pattern like 01234 567890?

I'd suggest you do 1471 each time you get a call like this, and make a note of the numbers. Are they coming from a small geographical area?

If your phone's a Panasonic, you can set it to ring only for callers registered in your phone book; this is probably the case for other makes.

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 19

Very strange, are you getting charged for these calls !!!!
that supposedly come from your T/no.
0 Ratings
1-1-1
Beginner
Message 7 of 19

thanks for that - i did speak to one rather flippant bt person who suggested it may be an overseas company faking my number and then told me to just change my number - given none of the other bt people i have spoken to suggested it, i kinda dismissed it. 

but if it is possible to fake a number, then i guess changing my number may be the only thing i can do!

yeah, all the people who call are from small geographical area and always around 6-7pm. 

i am sitting next to my phone acting secretary right now - like i don't have anything else to do!!

the chap i just spoke to has received so many calls from my number he decided to follow it up because he is fed up with it.  having explained my situation he is now contacting his service provider to see if he can find anything out his end.

and the last lady says it comes up with +00 then my number - suggesting it is international

0 Ratings
1-1-1
Beginner
Message 8 of 19

Not being charged yet!!

but BT have suggested i may get charged to get the problem fixed 😕

0 Ratings
Patty-L
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 19

I would do as Keith suggested in his 2nd post to contact the mods to see if they can help.
0 Ratings
1-1-1
Beginner
Message 10 of 19

did that soon as he suggested it - no response as yet

but if i do get an answer, will post it here

0 Ratings