cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dancop
Message 1 of 8

Can anyone explain the Fibre Home Phone Service??

Hi all

I moved into a new house 2 months ago and, having spent what feels like days of my life on the phone, emailing, texting and being visited by numerous people from BT, I am at my wits end and still have no idea how to resolve my issue.

Basically, the house I moved into no longer has the old copper wire phone socket on the wall, but instead has a new BT Openreach fibre to the home modem instead. After a month of toing and froing, I've eventualy managed to get the wifi working via this unit but still don't have a working phone line.

The modem has 2 ports (TEL1 and TEL2) which I believe are for a phone to connect to to work over the fibre line. However, nobody at BT seems to understand this or know how to get this working. Instead, I keep being told that they have to send out an engineer to install a new copper wire socket (at a cost of £130).

Needless to say, I don't want to use the copper wire socket but just want to connect my phone to the BT equipment that's already installed.

Can anyone advise how this works (e.g. will it work with any 'normal' phone) and what I need to do to get BT to activate this for  me?

In all my life, I've never had such a frustrating experience as trying to talk to BT about this over the last couple of months. I've lost count of the number of times I've been randomly transferred from department to department (thus having to go through all of the extensive securiy checks and description of my problem from scratch each time) or have been randomly cut off mid-call for no apparent reason - other than I imagine the operator doesn't know the answer and just wants to end the call.

I would be absolutely delighted to switch to ANY other provider, but unfortunately I believe BT are the only company to offer fibre broadband in my village. 

Any help or advice would be truly appreciated!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can anyone explain the Fibre Home Phone Service??

Contact the fibre team on FTTP (0800 587 4787) they should be able to help you the normal numbers do not handle FTTP
0 Ratings
Westyfield2
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Correct. The two TEL ports on the optical network terminal are designed for you to plug-in any normal phone.  If the ONT has a connection light then the TEL ports should be active.

0 Ratings
dancop
Message 4 of 8

Thanks both of you for your replies. 

I can try calling the FTTP team tomorrow.

Out of interest, do you know if using the fibre line for my phone will make any difference to the monthly bill.  I'm not sure if it's like a VOIP service or just a standard phone line. 

At present, I'm paying for a broadband plus phone package but am not sure if they'll try to charge me more (or less?!?) for using fibre line for phone. 

Thanks.

0 Ratings
dancop
Message 5 of 8

This is what my setup looks like. The modem lights are on and working but the two TEL lights aren't. I assume BT would need to activate them somehow. 

I did did spend over an hour on the phone to them yesterday trying to explain this to them but they didn't get it. Maybe if I get through to the right team I'll have more luck...

image.jpg

@Westyfield2 wrote:

Correct. The two TEL ports on the optical network terminal are designed for you to plug-in any normal phone.  If the ONT has a connection light then the TEL ports should be active.

Highlighted
Westyfield2
Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Yes, you need to call 0800 587 4787.  After they've done their thing then one of the two TEL LEDs will light up, and you plug your telephone into that socket.

Calls on Fibre Home Phone are charged just like normal calls.

Fibre Voice Access is charged differently by Openreach to normal copper line rental.  But whether your Communications provider passes on the different in your line rental is up to them.

0 Ratings
NewHome
Message 7 of 8

Hi

Just moved into a new build home. BT told me how to activate my landline number (plug into main white BT box, you have to open towards bottom, you'll see lots of wires, lie on the floor and you'll see a telephone point, plug in your handset and dial the number they give you to activate your number). Once activated I found that none of my BT points work, completely dead, and obviously I don't want my handset kept in the understairs cupboard. I phoned BT again and they said that I needed to ask the Developer to activate all the BT points (as they arranged installment) which I've done. 

Hopefully this answers your question.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Hi Newhome

A helpful answer but as this thread is three years old the OP might not reply but hopefully he has his problem resolved by now.

0 Ratings