cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidwTBE
Message 1 of 7

Can dial out but nobody can phone me

Hi folks

Went for the BT Infinity package so broadband and also phone because of the offer of a reward card (that turned out to be a con). More fool me. Anyway, that's another story.

The BT people said oh how lucky, we can tell from our records that you will not need a new socket because one was put in at that address a few years ago. Just use that.

Great I thought, less fuss, no need to wait in for an engineer, how lucky! Even more fool me.

The phone has a curious fault, that I suspect may have been present from the day BT started the service (although I have no real way of telling)

What it comes down to is this:

I can dial out. The broadband seems to work. But nobody can phone us. If you dial my landline from another landline you just get the "busy" tone. If you dial my landline from a mobile you get "the number you have dialled has not been recognised".

I did the checks in the trouble shoot video and they have no effect on the fault.

BT say their tests "indicate an internal problem" but they want £85 if an engineer comes and says it's an internal problem.

I reckon I should be allowed a socket and connection anyway as they declined to do one at the beginning because there was an old socket there... But even if they do that, what fault could possibly make my landline a one way only line? And what could be wrong at my house that makes the mobile phone say "number not recognised"?

I would be most grateful for any help solving this mystery.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can dial out but nobody can phone me

Welcome to this user forum. @DavidwTBE 

Its possible your line is crossed with another. If you can plug a phone into the socket, and dial 17070, you will get an announcement telling you your phone number.

Check this against the phone number shown on your bill, to make sure its the same.

Did you move from another provider, if so, which one?  It may be a number porting issue.

0 Ratings
DavidwTBE
Message 3 of 7

Thanks Keith!

I will try that 17070 thing when I get home.

Was with Sky before, the switch over was April of last year.
Every time I use the phone it works so only recently discovered there's a problem because the hospital were saying they can never get through and I'm thinking "odd, there's never anyone in to be on the phone."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

It could either be a crossed line, a fault in the exchange, or a problem within your own internal wiring or phone.

Its best to check at the test socket, with a known good phone, to prove that the fault is not within your property.

test socket.jpg

0 Ratings
DavidwTBE
Message 5 of 7

did that, same result. Used a wired phone, not a cordless.

If the fault can be in the wiring at my home what's puzzling me is what fault could it be. There aren't exactly alot of wires in a domestic single socket installation, and for it to come up as "number not recognised" when I use a mobile, it must be something that does a good job of confusing of EE, voda and IDmobile as I've tried mobiles on all of those and they all do the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

So you have confirmed that your number is correct?

Have you received any calls since you moved from Sky?

When you dialled 17070, option 1 was a ringback test which you can use to make sure your phone rings.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

@DavidwTBEwrote:

did that, same result. Used a wired phone, not a cordless.

If the fault can be in the wiring at my home what's puzzling me is what fault could it be. There aren't exactly alot of wires in a domestic single socket installation, and for it to come up as "number not recognised" when I use a mobile, it must be something that does a good job of confusing of EE, voda and IDmobile as I've tried mobiles on all of those and they all do the same.

Hi.

Certainly sounds like a porting issue (and can depend on who was allocated your number range initially - double porting isn't usually possible).

What happens with a general porting case, the gaining exchange effectively has the phone number physically. When this is done, the losing exchange has code entered in order for the calls to go through the network to end up at the gaining exchange. If this software isn't done in the losing exchange, the only calls that might get through are calls withing the gaining exchange only (or potentially that company only). All other calls fail, including mobiles.

So if the hospital is on a different exchange to you, calls to you will fail.

0 Ratings