cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Can someone tap a landline to intercept calls to a specific number?

over the past couple of years a family member has been subjected to repeated attacks on their credit and bank cards which I suspect may be linked to fraudulent phone calls.  One of the many concerns I have it that somehow their landline has be compromised so that when they actually calling the number on the back of the card, they are being intercepted. They are able to make and receive calls. A call yesterday to the emergency number appeared ok but I did notice a clicking sound on several occasions. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Can someone hack a landline to intercept calls to a specific number?

@NickySB98 

Who do you pay for your phone service?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

BT

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@NickySB98 wrote:

BT

Its unlikely that someone has intercepted their calls, its more likely they have responded to a scam caller and revealed personal details.

Clicks on the line can be caused by an external line fault, so its helpful to run a BT line test to see if it detects any fault. This can be done via MyBT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

That was my initial feeling but, honestly, this scam is appears very elaborate with multiple layers and longterm repeated contact with someone, claiming to be from the bank's fraud dept suggesting seemingly innocent things to try  which, on one occasion had the "fraud dept" calling them, getting them to key in a random code that the "fraud dept" supplied, hanging up,  "fraud dept" calling back repeating the procedure and then announcing that should be it etc. They swore this would solve the problem for once and for all...... it didn't obviously. I suspect it was just another method of them trying to gain  trust by pretending to do  something to "help" you but I can't be sure that this actually did something to the line.

Speaking to the bank (via my mobile phone) I heard some things that shocked me with the the sophistication and lengths some of the scams go to   - Scammer calls you pretending to be fraud dept, you don't trust them so hang up, they stay on the line but play a dial tone so when you go to immediately call the number on the back of the card you still get them which is why, if possible. you should call the 0345 on another line, wait a couple of hours or ,at least, make an innocent call to someone you know and speak to them to make sure your line is cleared. This actually happened while I was at this person's trying to deal with the problem (minus the dial tone but many people in a panic might not notice this). The scammers called, as we were expecting, we hung up, waited a few seconds, and when we connected again, they were still there.....several times.   I called my mobile and got through, we waited a couple of hours and called the 0345 number on an unrelated number, but on the landline. This is the call that had all the clicking.

I just wondered if it is possible to tap a line remotely if the owner is an unwitting participant. If so, how can I check? I have only recently found out the extent what has been going on and am probably becoming totally paranoid.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

There are lots of scams circulating.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Guides-Community/Scams-Information-about-scams-currently-c...

If you are concerned about the line being intercepted, then you need to raise the issue with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for that. Will do that.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

From a sheer techincal point, an analogue line is 'interceptable' in theory.

If someone could get to the cable, they could in theory, connect to it but they would physically need to dig a hole, or shin up a telegraph pole (which is great fun using leg spikes and belt 🙂 ) or access the cabinet, but as its so visible, I can't see that happening (unless you can see a little workers hut somewhere between you and the cabinet ?). More likely is the phone line capture scam you have already detected.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

As already stated , a line can be ‘tapped’, the Police or Government agency’s can do this legally with the appropriate authority, but it’s not likely to be a scammers method of operating, potentially listening to hours of conversation in the hope of a credit card number and security code being read out , plus they would need to be physically close to the targets home, rather than ( potentially) on a different continent.

The other thing mentioned, like the scammer calling you, then , supposedly asking you to call back to confirm they are legit ( but simply holding the call ) so the victim hangs up , thinks they have made an outgoing call , but are in effect still connected to the original incoming call are much more likely ( and much easier for the scammer to do )
Unfortunately, once someone falls for a scammer , they are likely entered onto a list and will be targeted , it may be worth considering changing phone number , or never entering into conversations likely to be frauds, where they call you.....as you already know, best to just say you will call them back  , ensuring the call is to the published number for the company the ‘caller’ claims to represent, and with a delay , or by using another ‘phone’ , if you suspect they are ‘holding’ the line.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I have tried the 17070 number and that seems fine.  I was a total idiot and dialled the wrong number the first couple of times,

0 Ratings