Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dave_sib
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Can't find master socket or incoming line

Go to solution

My broadband has always been very very slow compared to other people in the area (my connedtion speed is about 0.9Mb other people get 10Mb from BT in this area) but otherwise I've lived in the house for about eight years and the phone works fine and the internet connection is OK (if slow).

I've been decorating and, wanting to move a phone extension socket, I started looking into the telephone equipment in the house.

I find that I have a cable with 4 wires coming into the house from a hole in the ground.  This cable goes into a junction box where it is distributed to telephone extension sockets.

The thing is, according to my research I should have a cable with only 2 wires coming into the house, and this should go to a master socket.

Is there something wrong with my wiring or is this normal?  Could this explain my slow broadband connection?

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Dave

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can't find master socket or incoming line

Go to solution

does the incoming cable with 4 wires not just have 2 connected in the junction box and then 2 wires connected and leading to the master socket where the wires are connected to terminals A & B on the backplate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

BT often install 4-core wiring, arranged as two pairs.  That way, if you ever ask for a second line, then the wiring's already there.

It sounds like you may have a "star" arrangement, which is bad.  The telephone line should go to a master socket, where it is correctly terminated.  You should then connect any extensions to the master socket.

it needs a competent telephone engineer to sort it out.

Icarus
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

If the four cables are the following colours;

White, Orange, Green and Black then that is normal.

The White/Orange is pair 1 and the Green/Black is pair 2.

When a property is supplied by a UG Cable it will either be a 2 pair, like I described above or a 5 pair. The colour codes of a 5 pair are;

Pair 1 - White/Blue

Pair 2 - White/Orange

Pair 3 - White/Green

Pair 4 - White/Brown

Pair 5 - White/Slate.

Don't ask me why on a 2 pair cable White/Orange is pair 1 but pair 2 on a 5 pair cable. Its like with the overhead cables, Drop Wire 10 and 10b has two pairs, White/Orange was pair 1 and Green/Black pair 2.

Anyway, what you are asking, if it being a 2 pair UG cable affecting your BB speed, not it wouldn't. If you are only getting 1mbps at best but others round you are getting 10mbps then I would say there is either a fault on the Openreach Network or possibly with your own internal wiring/setup.

dave_sib
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for all this advice.

I now understand what is going on.

The previous owner of the house did have a second phone line for his business.

That would explain why all four incoming wires (White, Orange, Green and Black) are connected onwards from the junction box outside the house to another junction box in the loft.

From this junction box in the loft, there is then just a star of four cables going to four telephone extension points.  I have disconnected two of these when I decorated in previous years, but this still leaves me with two telephone sockets in the house and neither of them are a master socket.

I do need a competent telephone engineer to sort it out, but could this star arrangement and no master socket explain my slow broadband speed?

Thanks again,
Dave

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Yes it certainly could be a reason for your low speed you need professionally help